Special Apple Pie Spice, Laughter

Day 4
I woke up at 5:35am and made tea. There was enough light to see that I didn't need to use any additional light to see. I made quite a bit of noise because I wasn't awake enough to be coordinated. I learned that my titanium cup really hold heat well. It took me a long time to wait for it to cool. I decided that I need to speed up the process by walking it in the cold to cool it off so that I wouldn't miss the morning mediation. When I sat I felt all this gas that wanted to burp up. I told them they need to dissolve and not disturb anyone else who is trying to meditate. Guess, what, it worked.

I did have breakfast and checked out what was available for lunch. I knew Loc and Stacy needed to head into Eugene today and they would need lunch. Depending on what was on the menu, they could pick from lunch already prepared or buy something on the road or I could fix something together for them. I wanted to do something special but had to create it on the spot. They really worked hard and were the last ones to eat lunch on Sunday and lunch was pretty much all gone when they got to eat. Plus with their tight schedule the last thing I think they should worry about is search for lunch.

This lunch box experience was no ordinary one. I realized the act of giving is a luxury. It takes a rich heart to give. How much I am able to give in joy with my heart and in sincerity without conditions is how much space I create in my heart to receive nurture and happiness. How wonderful!

So I started to roll spring rolls while all the Vietnamese moms looked with disapproval. My version was not the traditional way they said. I know that. But this was what I could do on the spur of the moment. For some reason Dung did a hide and seek on me with whatever I brought out to make their lunch box with. I think it was because she was trying to be helpful and set the space up for lunch preparation. So I decided to wait until they were all gone and I was the only one in the kitchen to cook slowly. By the time I was done with their lunch it was too late to hike up the steep hill and make it in time for morning activities. I decided to climb up a ladder and pick Granny Smith apples for Apple Pie. I decided that I could contribute dessert to lunch.

Apple pie is easy to make but it's just time consuming with the apple part on peeling and cutting, especially if you have to pick the apples off the tree yourself. Fortunately, lots of people came to my aid, lots of kids, got into making the pie with me. I wouldn't have been able to bake it in time for lunch if not been for them. It was fun to make it together. I think that is what is fun about food, cooking, doing it together adding the special spice of laughter. Apple pie was not ready in time for Loc and Stacy's lunch box, Loc told Stacy he would roll into McDonald's to buy her apple pie through the drive through. That was sweet of him.


for lunch a Vietnamese noodle soup called Bun Reu and fresh berries from berry bush all over the place and bears and deer do love these berries.

After lunch was creek time. It was fun to walk on the creek. Pretty slimy, the trick is to get your footing in between rocks and go for the small ones and not the big ones. Most people go for the big ones and they would slip and fall. It was a sure dunk in the water for those who decided to do that. For a lot of people, this was their first time outdoors.

.....and if you didn't get wet from slipping then your friends may help you cool off instead, from left to right David and Andrew

We sat on a big rock on the creek and shared embarrassing stories of ourselves.

I told the group the time when I was potty training and had an accident while playing up on the roof top with neighbor's kids. I ran down to the first floor and found my dad and he cleaned me up really well. He didn't yell at me or shame me in any way and sent me off on playing some more before dinner. My dad is cool this way.

I like being in water, near water. Creeks and rivers were regular family trips we would take in Taiwan when I was little. It usually involved BBQ too. I remember when I was a toddler, I would have a life savor on me and a bucket to play with while I sat on the river rocks with running water. Shallow enough and soft enough current that I wouldn't be swept way and if for some reason I did, there was the life savor that I had around me to keep me afloat. I loved being under the hot sun and in the water.

After the creek excursion, we stood recited and prayed for any living beings we may have harmed by walking in the creek and creating disturbances in their environment.

When we made it back to 1/2 can, David Williams and Sher showed up. Loc and I were betting on him not showing up again for the 4th straight year. Every year he says he is coming and then doesn't. Last year he got as close as Shasta and then turned around and went home. So I was totally surprised when he showed up. He had just flew in from Canada and he picked up Sher at 3am. They drove the whole time. Sher doesn't know stick shift so David drove the whole way. At one point he had Sher drive and he kept his hands on the shift and his eyes closed while she petaled. They were aiming to arrive for lunch. But had to pull over to sleep and lost time that way. He said he shared his entire life story with her on the ride over. After feeding them pie and noodles we set up tent with them because they were exhausted.

I decided I needed a nap in order to stay awake for the movie at night, "Spiderwick Chronicles". Although I've seen it, it's fun to watch it with everyone especially camping. I like watching movies on the projector screen. It reminds me of when I was little, my dad owned a video camera and had the reel projectors. He would project movies he made of us or any event on the wall. It was fun.