Dancing Through the Night


In the morning, I left with the two ladies from Canton to Tai Yuan a major city in Shannxi Provence. I decided to figure out where my next destination would be after that. I had a few options of checking out PingYao the historical town and then go to Luoyang for the Grottos there then to Xian or just do Ping Yao skip Luoyang and then to Xian or just to Xian straight. We left on a chartered bus that ended up taking an extra two hours on a three hour journey. The bus illegally went around to pick up passengers like a local bus. People were running out towards the front door to throw up out the door while the driver continued to drive stopping only to make money.

We finally arrived in Tai Yuan five hours later and there was still plenty of time to do things before the Cantonese women’s flight out in the late afternoon. Being the National Holiday weekend, it was recommended that I get my train ticket first. Liang helped me cut in line. I went for it because the train station was packed with hundreds of people in line. I was stunned, I have never encountered this before. I bought a train ticket for Luoyang however sales lady refused to answer any of my questions. I later learned it was a standing ticket to Luoyang for 12+ hours in the evening. I went to a travel agency across from the station and they reimbursed me the ticket for me. This travel agency had a really nice boss. All the workers there were nice. He was not a shark, but not dumb either, every ethical.

With the help of my friends, I bought the cheapest cell phone possible. I like the Chinese system of calling card style, no monthly plans, contracts, etc…..I decided to go to the airport with my friends to catch a flight to Xian. I only had 60 yuan on me after the cell phone purchase, I figured I could charge the ticket on my credit card. I got to the airport and parted with my friends who spent the whole afternoon hand holding me and helping me take care of my business while sacrificing their own tour time of Tai Yuan. I proceeded to buy a ticket and learned they only take China credit cards. I went looking for an ATM machine but learned there weren’t any there. I was out of cash. I had to get into a cab, with a nice driver to locate ATM. I learned my card only works with Bank of China and most other banks do not accept my ATM card because I have a checking account and most people in China do not have a checking account. In fact some banks don’t even offer such a function. It took a long time in traffic to finally come across the right ATM. I told the driver, I didn’t have enough money to pay him so we must locate an ATM or else I won’t be getting off the taxi. I wondered how I would have spent the night without money for food, shelter, or transportation. Finally, I made it into a bank as the were locking the doors and was able to withdraw money.

I ended back in the travel agency and decided to take a bus to Xian. The owner of the travel agency sent one of his tour guide worker to walk me to the bus station to purchase a ticket for me. This young man was studying to be a tour guide. His main route was to Ping Yao. The earliest ticket available was next morning at 6am. I felt that was too late and wanted something overnight. I decided to wait at the bus station to see if I could trade my ticket in or for no shows. This nice man sat with me for an hour to accompany out of his good will and recommended I stay at a hotel for the night to get a good rest that his boss would be able to set me up for a place for 10 yuan because he is in the business.

I tried to get onto an evening bus to Xian with my next day ticket, I waited for a no show spot as I sat in one regardless. The driver kept telling me how I couldn’t get onto the bus with my ticket. I explained with the no show, surely I could fit. The driver continued to tell me how I need to buy another ticket and I didn’t understand him. He offered a fold out stool for me on the isle but I would have to get on from the corner street and not this parking lot. I didn’t want to sit on a stool in the isle for 10 hours to Xian through the night. I was confused and didn’t sort it all out till later. Well, the no show showed up right before roll off and the bus was sold out. I had to get off. I later learned there were two separate bus companies in this station and I had the bus ticket for the competing company that was why they said I had to buy another ticket even if there was a no show. The whole get on at the corner thing, well, having me sit in the isle on a folding stool was illegal and they are not allowed to do so.

Well I went back to the ticketing area and waited and waited at the station and decided to recited the Surangama Mantra quietly to pass time. Three high school girls next to me decided to move far away from me. In fact, no one sat near me at that point. I quickly took noticed how people are afraid of religion in this country. Lack of exposure and knowledge creates fear among the people. I think I won’t pull out my beads in public in the future here in China or sit cross legged to meditate.

Time went on and the counter closed its windows. People at the station decided to lay and rest on the benches for the night. Then the security came and kicked everyone out because they were closing for the evening. I guess this bus station is not the same as the train station that stays open all night.

I paired up with three high school girls who were also going to stay at the station. They didn't want to spend 10yuan a bed to rest for the evening. It was beyond their budget. So at 11:30pm all four of us teamed up to stick together for company and safety. We walked the street wondering where we could sit down for the night. We went to a park nearby and waited while one of the girls went to check out the all night movie package to see the possibility of sleeping in the movie theatre. It was more than 10 yuan a person and beyond the other two girl’s budget. We sat in the park until some men who had been drinking started to move closer to us. We decided to move on for our safety.

We ended up walking some more and checked out all rehearsals for 10/1 performance. It’s amazing how these people picked 12am to start their rehearsal. It was all very hilarious to me, and the program was not worth staying for.

Finally we ended up in front of a bank next to the bus station. There were too many people sleeping outside the bus station and we didn’t feel safe there. We sat on the steps of this bank for awhile until we shivered terribly. We had to get up and dance to stay warm. We ended up entertaining each other to keep company and to stay warm. It was quite a sight and ended up being fun too. I was so exhausted. At one point, some one from the bus station screamed, “Don’t steal my things!” and a fight broke out. It was good thing we were together and not over there.

One of the girls who aspired to be an elementary school dance teacher advised me to be married because I am in the marriage age and I should when I come across someone to marry, that it would be better for me. It was funny to hear this from her because I just met her a few hours ago, she really cared for me whole heartedly, had no judgments against me, and had no agenda of her own. This combination was hard to come by and was truely worthy of my time to consider her advice with my heart.

All three of the girls wanted to be teachers in the elementary school system. They even had their subjects all picked out. They were very sweet and nice. There was a kind of simplicity in their lifestyle that made them very soothing and peaceful to be with. It’s hard to come across that nowadays I think. They didn’t have any hint of darkness from jealousy or competitiveness. They were hard working people who strived to do the best in their life not at any expense of others. It was fun and completely worthwhile to not spend the 10 yuan for a bed at a hotel, I would have otherwise missed this opportunity of hanging out with them while freezing in the cold wind.