A Familiar Friend, Guan Yin Bodhisattva



























I had trouble getting rest last night. I woke up this morning with pains in my body at 3:30am. I stayed awake for my early plane ride to Datong. I got to the airport very early. I booked a driver, this driver refused to let me split cost with other riders to the airport with similar flight time. Instead he had me get up very early to drive me solo to the airport. This way he can make maximum amount of money by increasing his trips to the airport. Having arrived so early at the airport, I spent most of my time watching the young workers interact and work with each other. I learned that their job description is very specified. They are individually on a need to know basis and that they don’t have basic knowledge of other aspects of work aside from their very simple repetitive job description.

I flew to Datong and inhaled more pollution. The main source of income for the area here is the coal mine. Not a spot of blue sky anywhere. I went to use the restroom and one of the airport workers decided she would let the public bus go thinking there were no passengers left. I ran after the bus but missed it. So I had no ride because this was the only plane for the morning and the bus is not schedule to return till the next flight lands.

What awaited me were the taxi sharks who wanted an arm and leg and told me everything takes an hour when it only took 20 minutes. I picked the one that had the brighter light in his face, everyone else looked dark and their features were all scrunched up. The sharks all had agreement that they would not drive for less than 100 yuan. I knew that was too much. I looked for the airport staff and she refused to answer any of my questions. She didn’t want to upset the sharks who she deals with everyday all day long. I knew I had to pay more than I need to but I was stuck at the airport otherwise. I ended up negotiating to pay 70 yuan for a 20 yuan 15 minute ride. I am learning how to be smart about my money and also when to use money to make things work for me.

As I landed in Yungang caves more taxi sharks of the same showed up like flies to honey. I told then to go away. One of them wanted me to put my things in his car so I can ride in his car later. I refused and checked my bags at baggage check in. I headed for the restroom again. When I came out, a local dirty looking thug decided to stand there and charge me 1/2 yuan for using the public toilet. I told him he had no permission to do such a thing, he chased after me and I ran and threw a coin at him. He stopped chasing me and strolled away happy at the fact that he was able to bully me into throwing a coin at him.

Visiting the caves, I partnered with a couple from Vancouvor originally from Hong Kong and then we tagged along a guided tour. They took me in like I was their daughter. It was very nice of them to do so. They recommend that I stay with them and that they wouldn’t mind if I followed their itinerary for the rest of their stay in China. I was surprised at their proposal and thanked them for being so inclusive.

The caves were beautiful. I had a great time. I liked how the images were strong, solid, soft, welcoming all in the same time. One of the last images I visited had damaged parts but I like the energy of it and so I drew near it. I later read the caption and realized it was an image of Guan Yin Bodhisattva. I stood their and wondered what is it, how is it I recognize her and like to draw near her?