Four Blankets in the Mirror Tile Room


For the evening I returned to my room at the Nunnery. The room was brand new, Taiwan style, everything tiled, etc.. and it smelled of fresh paint. The materials selected for décor were suitable for the hot humid Taiwan weather and not cold Wu Tai Shan weather. There was no hot water for shower. I learned they are into so called bitter practice. The more bitter the practice, means the more sincere, the more of not wasting blessings. Some how all of this is suppose to impress someone or add up to enlightenment

A nun who kept watch of me, ready to pound me raided my room and ran through my things many times. I didn’t mind and didn’t bother with wondering how life is on Wu Tai Shan that they have to work this way. I was sick, I had a terrible fever, my throat was all swollen, my body ached, I could barely speak or move. My fourth chakra swelled up into the size of a softball. I could only breathe by laying my body in a certain way. And this elder nun who was looking for any opportunity to pound me was not being understanding, I was not warm enough. I used all four blankets in the room and layered it over me. Because they tile everything and glass everything and mirror everything, it's especially cold there and difficult to retain heat. They could have offered me a coat or something for my legs. My jacket was enough for the day, it's just my legs along with this cold that makes it difficult to get up for morning ceremony and do evenings. Well, she didn't offer and I didn't ask.

She implied I was thoughtless, selfish of possible late comers who may join my room. I told her when there are other guests around I will share, now it's just me. She was into telling me, I was sick because I lack merit and virtue. Duah...... A Buddha is complete, everyone else it not. How's that going to heal or make me better. I just played dumb, that I knew nothing about Buddhism etc.....

The Chi on the mountain was good. Meditating in my room was good. But I decided then that I would leave the next morning and not meet their teacher who people revere. It's terrible but yes, it does reflect on my impression of their teacher. They are into saying they cultivate there, they cultivate bitter practice, they hold precepts strictly. But, lots of rules and what's it got to do with wisdom, and the rules aren't even uniform. It's such a circus on the mountain that I'd say they are doing okay, they are trying and so this should count for something, they are Pureland school, of Jing Kung.