Five Peaks Mountain


The driver smoked the whole way I lowered the window the whole way and caught a cold after hours of cold wind blowing into my head. We entered Wu Tai Shan, Five Peaks Mountain in the evening, the driver insisted I stay at his connected inn and refused to take me to Bai Yun Shi, White Cloud Nunnery where I wanted to stay. I refused to get off the car insisting this was not our agreement. He tried to peel me away from the seat and I hung onto the dash board. Even the elderly couple tried to convince me to back down and deal with it tomorrow to avoid a fight. I was scared, and had no idea what was planned for me in the inn. I refused to get off the car reminding him how unethical he was and that such acts lacked virtue. The driver yelled at me and then, demand more money from me. I had already paid him plenty but he already had the money so I couldn’t threaten him of not paying him. I finally agreed to the added 20 yuan for him to drive me for another 5 minutes in the cold dark night on this unfamiliar mountain.

I did not make prior arrangements to stay at the nunnery so I didn’t know if I could even get in. The security guard at the monastery front gate was very nice in helping me get in and pretty much took care of me the entire time. I had to meet with the guest prefect and she was nice to agree to take me in. I learned how useful and important it was to have my refuge booklet with me. But I left mine in storage box along with everything else I owned in Fremont. I was glad to have a place to rest in a Nunnery and be done with the driver.