Sanborn County Park and Shady Shakespear in the Park


Sanborn Camping Day 1
I was gifted to a weekend of prepaid campsites to Sanborn County Park in Saratoga for two nights. I was super happy. Since I still had all my camp stuff laying around, I jumped to it. It is evident I am getting older, I see the camping gear and half of the luggage is for the comfort of sleep. I was too lazy to pack food. It was all instant noodles, crackers, and tea.

The entrance fee to Sanborn is included in the campground fee. I liked the place, the energy felt clean. Site #8 is great, so is #3. I didn’t know about the push wagon so I lugged it all in 3 trips, a nice workout. I don’t mind. I saw signs for Shakespear in the park. The “Shady Shakespear” company has been performing summer open theatre plays since 1999. It is free and donations are welcomed.

After setting up camp, I strolled around the campsite to see other sites and compare. It’s lovely here but in actuality, there aren’t a lot of site that are leveled in a way that is convenient for tent. In general I only see a tent for 2-3 to be possible set up per site. Each site can fit 8 people max. However I don’t know where the other people can set up their tent at, their tent will be slanted, going to wake up kissing the tent wall. When looking at tent sites, it’s a delicate balance of where the picnic table is, the fire ring, the walk path, the tree, sun light through the trees, and the tent in relationship to all of that.


I went to claim a seat at 6pm and watched “Much Ado About Nothing.” It was funny and fun. I love summers. I love plays, ballets, symphony, live performances. It was cold at night. I did not feel warm during the play. I will need to bring more clothes or blanket or both for tomorrow night’s play.

The meteor shower is this weekend. While driving through downtown Saratoga, I saw a giant sleep under the stars sign on the lawn to all be around to star gaze. The night is clouded over, completed blanketed. I was not ready to give up. I got up middle of the night to star gaze, no stars, lots of deer grazing the grass.