Hike Out of Sykes Camp

Day 4
While sipped my tea at dawn I starred into the river and wondered if the bedrocks ever complain to the rushing water for such force that grinds the rocks smooth. Or does the rock thank the river, the wind? Does the bed rock ever get tired of the incessant molding and shaping?

I met Shell from Santa Cruz who also came alone. He invited me to join him in the pool, but I really didn't want to. I had to pack up and hike out. I was already slow because I really took my time to drink tea in the morning and watched the water run in the river. It took me all day to hike in and it will take me all day to hike out especially without a headlamp for lighting up the path.

On the hike out I was physically feeling better. My pack was lighter but not that much but every pound is significant. I felt good and really enjoyed the hike out. I had the energy to notice the scenery. I took breaks to drink water and to munch. At one point I was swamped by flies and I told them that I'd offer my precious orange peel as a token of good faith and friendship and they are to not attack me. That regardless if they wanted or not I'm making a precious offering and sharing, take it or leave it, it's given.

I want to quiet my mind. I want to activate real strength and not live in a borrowed one. I asked the trees at the trail at a very elfish looking Ravine if it had any insights. If the trees moved at every brush of wind, there would not be any greens on the mountain. No roots to uphold the trails and the cliffs from mud slides. There would be no path to trail on. They roots deep and strong into the earth, yet flexible and stable.