A Walk to the Heart


I took my cousin Alice and her husband Steven to Grace Cathedral. It's a beautiful place. I don't think they've been to a church like this.

I explained to them the artwork on the doors and the architecture the best I could recall from art history classes. It was one of the majors I was pursuing in college, I wanted to teach art history at one point with special concentration in architectural history. I forgot a lot the stuff I learned. Whatever I could recall was enough to translate with my limited vocabulary in Chinese.



I lead them on a walking meditation in the labyrinth. I suggested to meditated on walking into your own heart. I'm sure that didn't quite get across conceptually.


They both commented on how they wouldn't of known how to appreciate the church without my commentary.
I suggested that we partake in a candle lighting prayer and wish good health on those who are sick and can use our prayers. They found that to be very meaningful.


One of the things I tried to do as we walked in San Francisco is to point out art work in buildings and streets and light structures. I don't know how many people care about these things or enjoy them the way I do but I decided to talk about them as part of my tour guide duty.


Lombard street right by Grace Cathedral is a stop over. It's not quite spring yet so all the colorful hydrangeas are just budding and not in bloom. I remember the first time I went down the street was in a convertible with friends and we all stood up with our hand in the air except for the driver. There were people today in their rental bikes going down the street totally fast and barely with control. You can rent the bikes at the wharf and the map is waterproof.



I tried to explain the came abouts of the Palace of Fine Art in Chinese. I really didn't think I did the job well. Still it was a beautiful sight to see and I totally skipped on trying to explain the different column artwork linked to Greek history and who was reigning and what Greek God was popular then.



There were a ton of kids all ages from all levels of schools visiting. It was worth walking through the sea of students for them to check out student and student life and style in San Francisco.