Da Dao Cheng, DiHua Street, DIY Fabric District ,DanShui

Day 19
DaDaoCheng is known for shops that whole sale distributes oolong tea. I stopped by a few shops and tried out teas. These shops are also wear houses where they do packaging etc... So lots of these shops look dark and old but don't pass it up by it's cover. Try out the tea and then decide.

I actually came to check out tea but came across two interesting shops. This one is actually a shop that is on the side walk. But it some how has a window display of very expensive sandal wood. I spend a long time getting educated on sandal wood for burning versus sandal wood in powder for burning. He owner showed me by burning this power, that wood to teach me the difference in quality and purity of powder and wood. He showed me how the smoke should look as it burns. He also told me that there is a powder stamp that I could get with whatever design I would like and the powder would be shaped that way and burned in that design. Pretty cool, I will have to keep my eye out for such things.

Here are all the different powders, I seem to like all the expensive stuff without any chemical additives. The top grade one I liked was 6,000 NT per liang. The 2nd to the top grade one of which I also like was 6,000 NT per jin. The Moxa was 200NT per jin which was a good price.

This whole sandal wood is from Vietnam and it is 100,000. NT. It's in a glass display like all other ones so you can't break it by accident and have to pay for it.







The other shop that seemed out of place was this Buddhist Image Sculpting shop. It is also small and easily missed. I don't even know how I noticed it. I stepped in to ask about incense and then discovered the art that is being done in this shop/studio workshop.

This man is 5th generation Buddhist Taoist Image clay sculpturer who chews on beetle nut as he works. His ancestors are originally from FuJian, China. This particular image he is working on is commissioned by a town who wanted to honor a local hero who benefited the village. This one was estimated for 60,000. NT

His wife is the painter who adds colors to all the images with her brush.


This man is his son who is a wood Buddhist Taoist sculpturer. He said depending on the size, the process takes 2 months of working everyday to bring to completion.


I finally made it to DiHuaJie. This part is well known for wholesale distribution of culinary supplies. In the Chinese New Years the place is filled with people and streets are blocked off for stalls. It's quite the scene and the workers are on ladders usually college students with their horns in their sound bite, some rap it. My cousin Chen Chen did it for a season one year. In this area there is a fun but small vegetarian shop that sells plenty of fun jerkys and vegetarian supplies. It's is called Hong Mao. I actually discovered the floral and dried traditional Chinese Medicine herbs in whole sale here. I ended up spending 1,000 NT here. I loaded my backpack with beautifully dried whole floral tea. I think I'm good for the next few years on floral tea.

Also outside the KiHuaJie is also well known for Fabric Stores. This is where you come to pick out fabric for all your needs. I found pearl pink umbrella fabric to sow for a rain cover to be used on my internal pack. I wonder if the fabric actually is water proof? It would suck if I went through all that work and they thing doesn't work anything close to gortex in water proofing and all my gear is wet.

Here is a man selling malt caramel sandwiched in crackers. Totally bad for your teeth but fun to eat. I didn't get any, I have enough dental issues, I am good and done for this life.

It was already 6pm when I wondered to ZhongShan Metro station so I decided to go to DanShui for dinner. I found fried oyster and enoki mushroom with tempura batter.


Then I wondered around and checked out touristy things to look at like classic clothes and hand sown shoes and slippers. They are all very beautiful.