Stamp Museum

Day 26

I took the metro and got off at the Chiang Kai Shek station to go to the Stamp Museum. There is a lot to see here. I like stamps. I am glad Taiwan is a country into collecting stamps and always has varieties of stamps each year to choose from, much more diverse and versitle than back home.

A wooden wheel like this was once part of the postal carriage.

Here is a model of how some of the skills required to make the delivery when you need to cross a river and there is no bridge and the rapids are too dangerous to cross.


Here is another way to row yourself across in a big bucket, all to deliver mail.


Classic measuring instruments, this is where the "Tai Jin" system comes from. It is not shared in the world, unique to Taiwan only and still today when you buy things that is weighed, they all refer to Tai Jin. I have no idea what this system is in comparison to, I have to see it and feel it when I go shopping. this usually gives it away that I am not local.


Another classic scale more commonly used in the world.















One of the first stamps created were these Ba Gua from Yi Jing. Pretty cool huh, Yi Jing Ba Gua stamps for domestic mail.






Then came the stamps for international mail. These were of dragons.








ah.... when postage cost only one penny for international mail











This is the stamp that never made it to the public. Chiang Kai-Shek helped to save China from Imperialism and Foreign rade that divided China into peices. But he didn't live long enough to see a united China. This stamp was printed right before his death and so when he passed away the stamp was not released for public use.








I had no idea the President and First Lady of Taiwan went to India to meet with Gandhi. Here is a newsprint photo of the trip.






One of the first stamps of Taiwan with the President's face on it.












This is the stamp with the national anthem of Taiwan along with the musical score.






Why don't we get Harry Potter stamps! I love Happy Potter series. The books are great especially the last 3 volumes.

I only had enough energy to cover 3 floors. I totally skipped the archival room. I was just tired.