Historical Museum

Day 26 con't
From the Stamp and Yang Museum I walked to the Historical Museum with a special exhibition from Musee D'Orsay. It cost an additional 250 yuan to see this exhibition, this is cheaper than flying to Paris. The exhibition was featuring Millet and the likes. The place was packed, it was not very enjoyable to see art work this way. However I did enjoy Millet's work.


I had just missed this exhibition by 2 days. It was one on fashion and accessories of Ching Dynasty. I really wanted to see this, I should of checked the dates carefully, too bad. It's amazing, the things exhibited around the world is easier to access than when you are in China and in the museums. The only one is the Terra Cotta Warriors, they're not going anywhere and they are still being excavated.




Before the coin system there was the shell curreny.

This is the ancient Chinese coin system. They have a hole in the middle so you can string your coins together.







Ancient swords from over 5,000 years ago.
These are spear heads from.
I like bronze work. It amazes me how much beautiful details are possible on Chinese bronze work and they are typically large vessels.






Oracle bone readings, ooooo.... I had only heard of them but to see them, so cool. It's also kind of gross to think about it too. Only those in the this art knew the language. The language isn't necessarily a common language but of codes that each oracle reader knew and can decipher. They often contain secretes of the dead of the past and future. Or maybe this last part is just urban legend since people can't decipher the codes to prove otherwise.




I just love all these fine porcelain work. This is a bottle for perfume or liquid medicinal potions.

I like this contain made of wood for dried nuts for snacks with for tea time.


This is a Chinese laquer peice in wood, can be used for dipping the ink brush. In front of it is the ink holder.
This is a beautiful containers for Go pieces in wood. I love this set the best.


After the museum I sat at the lily pond and enjoyed the beautiful garden outside the museum.






Then I went across the street and ate at a all day breakfast place and had hand made "Shao Bing" and fresh soy milk. Nothing like fresh soy milk. Tastes nothing like the bottled, packed shelf stuff back home. This is way better.




I was still hungry and I went to ShiiLin Night Market again for more food. This time I saw the police raiding the illegal street vendors I talked about earlier. They do their slow stroll. Gives people plenty of time to run. People really see it as bad luck or bad omen when they get ticketed.



I like the ads and selling sound bits on the open markets in Taiwan.



More crispy fried King Oyster mushroom. This stand is my favorite, the lady does it just right, crispy on the outside and juicy hot on the inside.