Kenting and TaiDong

Day 18

The way shops look at crack of dawn like early mornings in Vegas. This was taken in front of the bus stop across the street from the gates of the Hostel. I was told there is a bus every 30 minutes and runs 24-7.

The security guard looked at me with sympathy this morning while he wished me safe travels and bid me good bye. He wished for me that I didn't travel alone that I am to bring people with me next time.

It isn't that I am a loner or lonely. I don't insist on traveling alone. I used to sit around an wait for people and let life pass me by feeling disappointed. Disappointed at myself for not doing anything about anything and letting myself to become disappointed and frustrated. There are many conditions that has to be set in place for each person in order for a trip to happen and for everyone to all be in sync, it can be difficult and hard to come by. So now I travel when conditions are right solo or not. I like it all.

I got onto the 6:25am bus hoping to get onto the PingDong train station to get onto the early train to arrive in TaiDong early enough to get onto the 11am ferry to LyuDao. I got onto the bus and asked the driver about the train station and time whether or not I would make my train. He told me I didn't have to go as far as PingDong, there is a closer train station at LiaoFang that I could go to TaiDong from there. I didn't know there was one. I looked at the train chart time table again and he was right. It is two train stations closer than PingDong. I am so glad he made that suggestion. I just missed it on the chart when I looked at it. Plus I didn't know where LiaoFang was geographically. So I had to get onto this particular bus in order to come across this bus driver who would help me point the way and tell me what I didn't know and didn't even know the question to ask.


I am at the LiaoFang train station. I asked for the next train to TaiDong. The attendant asked if I wanted the fast or the slow train. I said fast. The fast one cost more. Then he asked what time I wanted to get on to the train I asked for the soonest one. Well, being tired, early, unfamiliar and just not with it, I answered yes.

Yes was the right answer after all. It wasn't the train I asked for the fastest one but it was the next train and the slower train. This isn't the important part. Because of this train, I came across a travel guide, Mrs. Hsu who was leading a group of tourists from China whom I chatted with and asked about where to stay in LyuDao. She right away pulled out her phone and called her agency for her contact in LyuDao. When we got onto the train she stood next to my seat and called the contact in LyuDao and commanded him to take care of me and drive me around and shop for housing until I am pleased and content. Wow! All of this for me, a stranger, no business interactions,.... yes, it was so. I asked her how much I needed to pay this man for his service and she looked at me like I was speaking foreign language. Free! Really? I was confused. But what stuck me most was her command that wasn't over powering or oppressive, it was more like an edict you follow, no if and buts, this is how it is. She stood there next to me until she saw me make contact with this man named A-Hing, who wanted to help me reserve a boat ticket and I declined, not sure if I would make the boat ride not knowing how far the train station was from the wharf. Plus I wasn't sure if I would go with A-Hing. I thought I might think about it and call around for housing myself at the wharf just incase.

This all happened really fast. I would have missed all of this if I didn't go to Kenting and then decide to leave and leave early and get on the right bus with the right bus driver telling me which bus station to get on and then the ticketor making the decision to sell me this train ticket so I am on this platform at this time waiting for the same train and even sitting in the same cart. Look at all the things that had to come together so I can connect with A-Hing.
At the TaiDong train station you exit and look to your right for the bus stop to the wharf. I headed over there along with a young couple who were also going to the same dock looking for the same bus. The taxi sharks came around and wanted 100NT per person for the 12 minute ride to the wharf. The bus ride is 21NT. Both of us girls leaded on him for strength and support to send the sharks out of our sight of harassment. I told them if the bus doesn't come in time then we can always take the taxi as last resort. The bus came within minutes. We were dropped off on tiny streets and walked the rest of the way to the dock.

The 11:30am ferry was totally full. I missed my boat no more seats left and no standing tickets allowed. I was at the dock a little before 10am. The young couple had reserved tickets. How do you reserve tickets, do it through an agency or hotel or call. There is no fee to reserving tickets, just put your name down. Oh how I regretted not having A-Hing reserve a ticket for me. But what was worse was a group of 5 young adults traveling with a tour guide and the tour guide failed to make reservations and they all sat there like me disappointed. The tour guide must be new. She said she didn't think it would be full so she didn't bother to reserve.

As I sat in the ticket office, there was a vending stand who had a tape of sound bits to lour customers in on megaphone blasting everything and everyone in site and it was set on repeated loop. I had to put my earplugs on.



My ferry I sat by the door next to the motor. I just wanted to sit down and be convenient. I put on earplugs for my ride. I called A-Hing and decided to go with him. I told him I was wearing bright pink jacket and had a pack on my back and a pack on the front, can't miss me at all. He told me he would be wearing an army jacket standing next to his Toyota.