Tzu Chi Hospital

Day 4
We went for breakfast at the nearby morning market and I saw the lady who runs the stall is very strong and a happy person. She knows what she is doing and who it's all for, she doesn’t’ complain about the hardship or being tired. She's truely rich and strong on the inside. Her food was good. I like the eggplant the best with white fermented beans. I heard it was her signature dish.

This is what a typical morning market looks like, stalls on the street and the whole place shuts down by 11am and the street returns to a typical street.

Purple corn has a chewy texture that I enjoy.

I love fresh bamboo. It's so sweet and tender.

Afterwards mom wanted to buy clothes for me. It occurred to me that she really wants me to dress Taiwanese. It helps her feel Taiwanese, her roots. I had fun with her picking out things for me but they didn't look good on me because her taste and judgment was different. This time at least she admits to it instead of defending her differing judgement. So it was fun to shop with her this time. We shopped till 9:30am. We were suppose to be at the hospital by 8am. I think she was stalling and not wanting to go to the hospital to get the results on her liver.

We took the metro to XinDian and got off at DaChrPing station and headed for the 4th exit. At the exit there was a bus stop where lots of people lined up for the hospital shuttle. There were two Tzu Chi men in uniform helping people with everything. They really handled people with care and patience. They gave dignity to people regardless of their illness or age or where they came from. I was impressed, I know people who mock Tzu Chi ways of doing thing but it really works for Taiwanese people way of life here.

At the hospital, I felt great with the building design and all the volunteers who helped out. People are kind, and gentle and happy to help out without any put down attitude or mockery or impatience. They have been well trained. They really made the whole experience awesome, if there was only a Tzu Chi airline to go with it. I felt so well comforted, I'm sold, I'll do Tzu Chi in the future for anything just for the calming atmosphere and the trained way to talk in respect, kind, and gentle speech.

Test Results for mom was she didn’t need surgery. That was a great relief for her and she was very happy to hear that. With my mom not in need of official surgery, I can even go shopping. I can just take the bus and metro or sit in a busy plaza and people watch. So I have spent a thousand dollars in credit just to fly here, I might as well make great use of it.

Here is a photo I took of my cousin’s military boots and his father’s military canteen. My cousin Chuan Feng really liked these boots and bought an extra pair at the end of his service just to have it. He said he had a great time in the military because he became the captain's buddy and his captain was a good captain.