Bald Eagles Ospreys Fighting Baby Snatching Crows

Day 19 National Parks 2011

I felt today I needed be on schedule.  It’s a drive out to all the thermo pools and having to cross the continental divide feels like it's that much more work on the energy level of things.  So I didn’t finish my instant noodle breakfast.  I put it in the trunk and drove off with it.  I noticed five hours later, clumps of plastic formations waxy hard were floating on the surface.  It was so gross, I was shocked by how I have been putting this unnatural thing into my body.  This cannot be good for the body. 


I arrived at Midway Basin and sat in the parking lot to do my hair and put on sun block.  When I stepped out I noticed bald eagles and ospreys were going at it with the crows.  The bald eagles and ospreys were teaming up against the crows.  It might be because the crows snatch their babies and devours them.  It was quite a scene in the sky.  The Firehole River was beautiful.  I enjoyed the walks on the trail.  I finished my nice strolls before three tour buses unloaded all their passengers.  They flew to the restrooms.  I guess their bus did not have a restroom.



I decided I would skip the two mile hike that connected Fairy Falls and Grand Prismatic Spring.  I would have to walk through unstable ground and this would strain my already very strained right side of my body.  So I drove to the Fairy Falls parking lot, it was packed and so I just parked along the road instead. 

Grand Prismatic Spring was beautiful.  While photographing plants and bugs I noticed beautiful cloud formations through the trees.  As I looked through my camera screen, I saw a pair of antlers reflected on the mirror of the spring.  I looked out and saw that it was a male elk.  It was a breath taking moment.  It was better than Harry Potter’s patronas.  The elk continued to get bigger as he walked closer towards me.  He grazed at nearby greens.  I stood there admiring the raw beauty he wore.  He was a young adult and had velvety antlers, they were large.  Then he walked close and passed by on the trial for the shrubs.  What a gift, perfect timing, just magical to be present in that way, just like that.  I would have missed it if I opted for a short cut on the trail.  This made my day!  Grand Prismatic Springs was already an amazing beautiful sight and this was like extra serving of dessert on top of what was already an amazing meal. 


I continued on the trail and the sky began to rain.  I pulled out backpack rain protection cover and stood under a tree for a bit.  I contemplated what I should do next.  The option given that it was raining was to turn around and be done with this trail or to continue regardless.  I decided I would continue on the trail and that my soft shell jacket was up for the task of keeping me dry, figuring that was why I paid so much for it.  

The trail itself was not spectacular to me.  It was also full of mosquitoes and I got plenty of bits.  They went through my clothes, the only part that was protected was the areas that had a soft shell on.  The trail was a combination of burnt old growth and new growth.  I looked at the pain and devastation of the burnt twisted fallen trees and found it to be visually overwhelming to take in. 

I saw a family of four backpacking.  The children were in elementary school.  I admired them and recalled how I used to do that.  I then had an internal meeting about it, “I’d like to do that.”  “Not, I don’t want to haul all the weight, day trips are okay.” 

I was feeling hungry after a mile of strolling.  I told myself I'd eat crackers when I am making a u-turn on the trail.  I saw Fairy Falls from afar and called it a day.  All falls are different, unique, and has it’s own beauty, and I find it a challenge to not compare it to Yosemite Falls.  As I munched on my cracker, I followed two women and eaves dropped their conversations about jam.  Then I invited myself into their conversation.  Geri makes famous jams and gives them away as gifts.  I finally inquired on how to make jams.  Through this conversation I learned not getting the right pectin and the proper amount of sugar made the difference of success or failure in jam canning process.  That the sugar had to be added last after the fruits bubbled in boil.  We just kept on chatting about fruits, vegetables, pies, etc…

Geri needs a hip replacement and refuses so she limps instead.  Geri’s husband died of a heart attack while smoking on their Alaska trip on a boat.  He was very happy on that trip.  She decided she couldn’t live in the same place they shared their lives in and moved to Lander, Wyoming to be near mountains and grow her own vegetables and fruits.  She loves slide photography and her husband took care of many things for her.  She said she’d just go and quit photography if she can’t do slides anymore because it is all she knows in this digital era.  That it is all she has and she doesn’t want to move up into the digital world.  That it is too much of a challenge for her with computers etc…  I recommend she get a neighborhood teenager geek and trade work for jam.  I advised her not to give up photography, it would be giving up the “Zone”.  I didn’t know what her religious orientation is, I just called it “The Zone”.  I saw she heard me and something clicked inside her and she got it.  I think this was the entire purpose of this hike.  

Yes there is a photography zone.  It’s meditation, focus, concentration, spiritual, and I find it very important, something you can't just quit.                

I told Geri I was a wedding photographer and I am now a substitute teacher.  Geri said she always felt fortunate to come across a teacher.  She decided to give me a jar of jam from her truck.  I said I’ll take a scoop not the whole jar and she said she’s got tons and wants me to have a jar.  I told her I’ll accept her gift if she accepts my gift of Belgium chocolate.  We both agreed and it was a happy exchange waiting to happen. 

Shawna met Geri twenty five years ago working together in Montana.  She lived in Kalispell and she is newly single after twenty six years of marriage.  Her husband had an affair and she kicked him out.  She now lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.  They still keep their friendship and meet in Yellowstone even though they both live in different parts of the country.  Shawna said I inspire her.  How living on my own and traveling on my own is something she has to learn now.  How she is still searching for the courage to do that.   

Sometimes the trail or Fairy Falls in this case or the object of the goal is just a bait to string you along, the real goal and objective is to come across others and let answers surface, deep healings to begin, and remember how much strength you have to stand tall and strong on solid reliable ground. 

I find it amazing that they found me amazing and inspiring, an example to model after, a goal to strive to.  The chocolate was definitely for them.  I carried them from afar and took great care, all for them.

I was very tired after this and it was 1pm when I pulled over to Biscuit Basin and strolled around the beautiful water, the colors were of blue sapphire.  I loved all this beauty.  To enjoy Yellowstone National Park you have to love animal sightings and looking at pools of colorful water and to accomplish this, you have to slow down. 



Mystic Falls, mosquitoes attacked me while I pee behind a tree.  I have always found that to be a unfair play by the mosquitoes.  Restroom time should be time out time. On the way back I looped to Shell Spring and felt the warm sauna blown by the wind and stood there for a body healing. I decided to take my shoes and socks off for a feet sole healing.  I sat there for fifteen minutes and just inhaled it all in.  It rejuvenated me.  I didn’t get my feet soaked but I got a sauna bath.  The Shell Spring coincides with Jewel Geyser. 



Jewel Geyser goes off every ten minutes.  Shell Spring empties out after the geyser sprays.  The spring bubbles and fills in preparation for the spray. 



I munched on chips in the car.  I was hungry and I was still an hour away from camp.  I can’t look at the mileage, it is 35mph over the continental divide and I drive slower for safety in my very old car. 


An elderly couple said there was another car accident on the road.  There seems to be like one per day here.  At Yosemite it is like one bear break-ins per day and here it’s car accident.  Exercise caution! 

The drive back to camp was exhausting.  I started to wonder off mentally on Harry Potter and Twilight Saga on how well each book was written and how I should read them again and how I should spend that time instead of reading sutras etc.. Seriously?  Really?  Not a wise wondering to follow, totally bad advice is what my well rested mind would be clear to recognize.  

I was so tired that when I got back to camp I laid on the hammock for twenty minutes to lift my feet up and rest.  My right ankle hurts, it actually went numb.  I can walk better today but just five hours of strolling on flat trail wiped me out. 



I ate buttery avocado with nori, nutritional yeast, and then I cooked quinoa in lime and herbs mixed in with beans, green bell pepper and aloo mutter.  I also drank two cups of honey water.  I made pancake in heart shape and really enjoyed maple syrup.  I dug into Geri’s blueberry jam.  It wasn’t very sweet and that was nice.  I had Darjeerling tea with my pancake dessert.