Gift of Warmth and Protection

Day 13 National Parks 2011

I got up to pee at 5pm and then I went back to bed for another hour.  I ate leftover beans with chips and heated up potato for breakfast.  I rested on a rock this morning.  It was warm enough to do so.  I put a blanket over my legs and it felt great to do so.

Then I cooked amaranth and quinoa with carrots and zucchini. 

Here is my camping method:
Soak it for 48 hours cuts down the cook time by 25 minutes
Fill pan halfway with presoaked, drained grains
Fill water up 2/3 of the pan with the grains in it
Cook until the white become translucent
Cover, shut off stove
Leave pot covered for the next hour in the trunk and the gain will fluff, soften, triple the size in it’s own steam. 

The Italian family offered their wood, propane, food, tarp to me.  The only thing I could use were the lemons they had.  Still I accepted it all because it seemed so important for him to take care of me.  I decided I would just accept the rest on other’s behalf and put it in a bear box for the next camper.  He really wanted me to have their box of wood, seeing how I struggled with fire and warmth that first night, I saw in him his concern that I stay warm for the duration of my solo trip.  Kindness carries over lifetime after lifetime, so does good relationships.  In his current condition of family make up and my current condition of injuries, we did not get a chance to get to know each other this lifetime and share joy, laughter etc...  We will have to wait for another time in the future.





I tried to pedal the gas and brake with my left foot today checking to see if I can make it work safely on the road behind the wheels.  I was not fully confident or convinced in practice.  My right foot is not ready for any kind of driving or walking.  Well, I decided I would just be as careful as I can in brake pedal with the use of left leg and give it a try and hoped for the best.  




I then left for the South Rim Artist Vista Point to see the waterfalls.  I tried to capture it, waiting for the sun to shine rainbows like it did with the others but it just didn’t happen today.  Everyone had great camera gear.  It saddens me that most people didn’t’ know how to use their very expensive high performance flashy camera to it’s potential.  It’s just like when I see people with off road vehicles and I can tell they don’t use it for off road, what a waste of potential, not being able to live to it’s life potential and purpose. 

I went to Lookout Vista Point in the North Rim and that wasn’t the highlight of the day.  I met a man from Seattle who originally was from Boston.  He had a telescope pointing at an osprey bird sitting on top of her nest on a rock point.  It was wonderful to see.  It was nice of him to share the joy and wonder of nature with the public.  He took delight in seeing people experience the delight too.  He then told me of a sight for Olympic National Park on status updates on the park etc.. He said my two weeks here will be great.  He leaves today. 



I then went to Norris Geyser Basin after a few bites of quinoa with nori powder and nutritional yeast.  I felt like I was starving.  It was a good thing I made a pot of it.  I saw geysers at Norris and enjoyed the landscape, particularly the first loop by the visitor center.  I saw a buffalo poop.  
I felt a strong headache to the gut at 1pm.  It felt like the kind that would make me hurl or can’t fly to the restroom fast enough. 








I decided to continue to Madison for the river and also to look at Gibson River.  All the rivers here are just beautiful, curvy, and snakes through the valley landscape with the mountains as backdrop.  I saw a big buffalo with horns with a very full winter coat munching on grass while laying down and then getting up again.  It was very cool. 



Here is one way on how to not loose your kids

I saw more fire devastated area of burnt trees with new growth.  It was beautiful, what an amazing contrast.  The dead trees and the apparent destruction of the fire in the 80’s made way for beautiful healthy new growth.  I find it inspiring like a phoenix, this land will breathe new life from ashes.   

I did more geyser pullouts.  I like looking at blooming wild flowers all over Yellowstone.

At Madison I went to Jr Ranger Station and behind it was an even more beautiful landscape set against an amazing mountain backdrop.  That was enough actually.  I didn’t have to go any further than that. I was tired form the pain on the right side of my body.  I found myself fading fast. 

At 2:30pm today the car felt and smelled like death and dying choking me.  I had to open the door and hope whatever it was would vanish into the air and return to where it came from or be transformed for some new wonderful useful life in the future. 




I pulled out cinnamon bread and chocolate spread.  Yum!  This changed everything.  I felt better.  I felt full and I was still hungry too, what a very strange sensation.  So I decided to drive straight back to Canyon and I stopped at the Canyon Village looking for a salad bar.  It does not exist.  I decided to drive back to camp and cook dal with the rest of the quinoa and expanded that pot of quinoa into another pot of food.  It rained while I cooked and I had to eat inside my car to stay dry.  I don’t like to eat in my tent, I don’t want animals to come and sniff my tent.  

I made a cup of hot coco in celebration of the rain.  Hot chocolate and rain is a wonderful dance of aroma.  What would have been even better is fire wood burning mixing with the smell of the wet forest.  Nope, I was not going to try to attempt to light the fire pit with fire wood in the rain.  It’s got total epic fail written all over it. 

It was 7:30pm when Kim my new neighbor rolled in on her truck.  I thought she was a he at first.  It felt right to pass the box of wood along to her, the very warm sincere gift from the Italian family.  I can tell she needed it even though she brought her own wood.  I felt internally she needed the gift of the wood, what it represented, the warmth, the care, the healthy affinities, all in a simple box of fire wood.  She needed someone to care for her unconditionally.  It is where she was hurting.  It is the reason for her trip here.  She had eyed my box of wood ever since she arrived.  I offered her the tarp too.  She lives three and half hours east of here.  There is snow in all of Wyoming.  She said she loves to watch Old Geyser go off and just came from there.  She is here for one night to build a fire and to cook and camp.  She is to go home tomorrow.  She is alone and does not mind the rain or snow.  She recommend that I come back to this park and in the winter to stay at Mammath and go places on a snow mobile down to Old Geyser.  That it is quiet in the winter and everything is covered in white.  She also recommend I do Bear Tooth Pass when it opens because the view is spectacular.

Kim invited me for fire tonight and I decline.  I crawled into my tent.  I felt she came to be alone, to work some things through in nature.  Through this form, she have relied on to deliver healings and insights over and over again.  I felt she had tears to burn dry in her fire pit.  She could use support and companionship, but right now she needs solitude and quiet silence and be safe to unleash her vulnerability.  I wished her clarity, kindness to herself, and wisdom through it all.

I had to call it a night at 8pm and it was my turn for silence and solitude.