Swallows

Day 18 National Parks 2011

Soba noodles were perfectly cooked this morning.  I was out and about by 9:45am and went to the Grant Village Visitor Center to get hiking information and postcards.  I am happy to finally come across pretty ones.   I then rolled off for Old Faithful at 10:38am. 

The simple nineteen miles felt long.  The curvy mountain incline, decline was stressful over the continental divide.  I also stopped at Keplar Cascade.  








Old Faithful was a big complex touristy place with a beautiful historical inn.  The Lodge was nice, built of stone and wood.  I took the time to use their cleaner well maintained restroom.  I checked out all the shops for t-shirts, cards, food, and ice cream.  Food is pricy and was not tasty.  Why is it not good?  It’s really not hard to make food tasty.  The ice cream is all Wisconsin and not Montana ice cream.  I find it inferior.  The place to sit is on the second floor of the inn.  However the view overlooks the parking lot.  The interior décor has great ambiance.  I decided to eat my roasted potato, carrot, and zucchini in the car.  





I finally made it to Old Faithful at 11:33am and it went off at 11:41am.  I didn’t have to wait long.  I sat on a fallen tree and stayed out of the crowded bench area.  It’s quite a show.  The people watching are pretty fun to watch too.  I wondered how these tourist in front of my eyes got physically so big. 






I drove nine miles to Fire Hole Lake Drive, it’s a one way three mile scenic drive.  I loved this drive, there were beautiful springs.  Most of all it wasn’t crowded and I got to walk up close to it. There were beautiful pools of water to look at, all hot and clean.   Like a religious cleansing transformative ritual, I threw in more lies and anything else negative etc… into the thermo pools to transform and recycle for the benefit of all.  People seem to have caught onto what I was doing. 


I pulled over to the side of the road when I saw two women put their hands into the Fire Hole river.  They said it was warm.  I tried it and it was shower water temperature.  It was shallow enough to dip my feet in.  I am getting my hot spring soak wish.  I did my hands too and sat on the bridge as cars passed by.  Like a religious cleansing transformative ritual, I asked to clean and clear these hands and feet so they can truly be honest, straight, upright, and be of service from a place of compassion and wisdom to all, to end all crooked, evil ways and habits.  The water felt really good.  I was hungry and felt tired after this. 


I proceeded to all the pullouts in the area.  At Fire Hole Lake, I stood there and got a sauna treatment from the steam blowing by the wind.  Like a religious cleansing transformative ritual, I asked for a back steam to steam all stuck ignorant ways away.  This felt so good.         


I went to Paint Pan Hot Springs and saw swallows there.  It was a beautiful place filled with amazing colors, textures, a feast for the photographer’s eyes.  As I walked around I met a newlywed couple on their honeymoon from Stockton who spent the previous night at Idaho Falls and said it down poured and thundered last night.  They are headed to Tetons and Bryce after this. 


It was 3:12pm and I found myself feeling exhausted.  A bus load of tourist got off the bus and I headed for my car.  It was good timing, I was already exhausted and to be in the midst of tour bus crowd, I would just become overwhelmed even more.  It might just put me in the red zone which would not be good for my drive back to camp. 

I stopped at Shoshon Lake lookout, I was looking down for it and saw nothing when an SUV pointed out to me to look at the horizon.  It was then I finally saw a tiny sliver of water way-way out there.  It was much further then the ranger described it.  I found it funny.  Or maybe I was just so exhausted and the fatigue induced this.  I was laughing hysterically on the inside, but too tired to laugh so the hysterics had no chance to exercise itself, take over and live.          

At the general store, I educated myself on what is available on the shelf.  I also looked at the grill menu, ice cream bar, and souvenirs.  I bought a t-shirt there. 

I went back to camp to drink honey water, the cold tap water was perfect.  I looked forward to laying on the hammock and then it rained, splotchy for five minutes.  A neighboring dash hound barked off and on for thirty minutes.  Then at 5:35pm, the dog’s female guardian screamed, yelled, and fought with her traveling female human companion.  It was about money, about how she wants to leave this park, about how she hated this country, how she just ruined this entire year for her, how this entire vacation was ruined.  Scary!

That was the vibe I picked up yesterday at this place.  I think it’s all the fishing, killing, hunting karma and maybe that was why I found people looking more strange here, scary, and unfriendly, protected and guarded. 

Beautiful sighting, the three college friends got up and read books underneath the sun and then planned the rest of the day’s activities together.    

It poured and hailed at 7pm tonight for about 15 minutes.  Dinner was avocado, corn tortilla and baked beans with tomato and lime with a cup of hot coco. 

My new neighbor the Bair family told me they were stuck at Old Faithful intersection around 3pm, an accident between Tacoma and an Outback, a head on collision and cars flipped.  The outback had a set of grandparents in front and a granddaughter in the back.  The little girl was fine but the grandparents are still unknown in health.  I hope they are okay.  I see why I had to be back in camp by 3pm.