Black Bear Munching on Grub

Day 15 National Parks 2011

I finally rolled off bed at 8am when it was warm.  I made hot and sour mung bean noodles with arugula.  Then I cooked the rest of the quinoa, amaranth in aloo mutter with the rest of the carrots and potato from the Thursday roast.  I then boiled hot water for hot coco.  I shared my hot water with campsite #88 who was making coffee. 

When I have a trail hike planned on foot, getting up at 4am isn’t too early.  When I have a tourist car pullout stroll around planned, getting up at 8am isn’t too late.  Starting at noon after food, recitation, contemplation, and tea is also not late at all.

I kept smelling the wonderful wood fire aroma in the air this morning and wondered if it was a memory recall, or was it in my clothes mixing in with the smell of the rain and sulfur at the park.  Then I saw smoke come out of #87 fire pit, and no one was around.  So I went to put some snow on the fire to put it out so they don’t get in park trouble and get sited.  

The weather this morning was dry, grey, overcast, and cool.  Then it down poured at 11:45am and continued with breaks here and there throughout the rest of the day.  I went to pump gas.  I filled up with ten and half gallons.  My tank was low and the mountain incline curves are hard on the car. 

I drove to Tower Falls and saw a buffalo, a sleepy one underneath a tree sheltering itself from the rain.  I pulled over onto the Tower Falls parking lot and sat in the car to wait the powerful down pour.  The mountain landscape was pretty on the North East side of the park.   Then I tried a spoon of mountain berry ice cream a.k.a. huckleberry or marionberry from Montana.  I felt it was no lesser than European ones in terms of texture and flavor.   I opted to buy Wisconsin huckleberry ice cream sandwich to try and I found it unimpressive.  Now I know.  I sat outside the general store to eat this ice cream and found it disgusting that people were smoking everywhere on the patio polluting this amazing healing air into a toxic cancer inducing air.  Gross!     

I pulled over to Calcite Springs and did the little loop and saw big horn sheep on the mountain cliff.  There were three mama big horn sheep and three babies, none of them were sliding.  This is the only place safe for the mama to give birth to their babies and the place to raise them safely without them getting snatched by anther animal for a baby meal.  It was a beautiful sight.

I then went to Roosevelt area and saw a black bear looking for grub.  I pulled over at a pullout to wait out another down pour.   I find it a wonderful experience to wait for the clouds, sky, sun, and rain to change.  It is just amazing and beautiful to watch. 

I saw more fuzzy buffalos grazing.  There was no place to pull over, just a drive by.  I saw a lot of beautiful birds today, they are camera shy so when I pull out my camera they dodge.  I even missed the bald eagle.  As I drove I saw two crows flying away with someone’s egg in their beak.  Somewhere in this park, two mamas lost their babies. 

It was a good decision to drive today, even in the rain.  I had contemplated the possibility of meditating in my tent through all this rain and let my ankle heal so I can do long hikes and maybe backpack.  I was glad to not have missed all of this.    




I saw three mountain sheep sitting on a grassy hill, I pulled over and parked the car.  I ran up the hill like others and then I noticed a ranger showed up and put up her telescope by the road and through her telescope, I got to see the faces and horns in detail, crystal clear.  It was amazing!

In a valley I also saw three baby buffalos in a herd of buffalos.  I tried to zoom in on the video but I was too far away.  Can’t get any closer, parents are very protective of their babies and buffalos can charge at 30 mph, they run faster than I can. 

I also saw Prong Horns here.  Three were sitting by the river in this same valley.  The sun peeked through at 4:30pm.  At 5pm I pulled over and watch Mount Washburn change colors in sunset while I ate a buttery avocado with quinoa and amaranth with nutritional yeast, nori, soy sauce.

Drove back to camp totally sensationally stuffed and I was super tired from all the excitement of the day.  I decided to cook the rest of the roasted carrots with aloo mutter and eat it too for dinner.  I had more bread and chocolate spread with Keeming tea.  It was all very lovely. 

A resident volunteer came by to inform me that someone saw a bear an hour ago at 5:30pm crossing camp and that it was best to put things away and not in the tent for safety.  I was in camp at that time, sitting outside and I didn’t see any bear.  I did hear dogs bark vigorously.      

Tonight instead of building a fire, I sat in the car to stay warm when the temperatures dropped at 6:20pm.  I was in bed by 8pm tonight.  I heard shots like fireworks set off, seven times.  This means a bear was in camp after 8pm.  I hope the bear is okay and no one was harmed. 

Beautiful sighting, a nine year old blond girl in jeans climbed a tooth pick, very young baby pine tree.  As she got the midway, the tree arched almost 90 degrees.  It was super fun to watch, very cute, like a live animation of cartoon characters. 

Tonight, the sky was bright at midnight.  It was so bright, the stars were tiny.  The Milky Way is right above the campsite.  Getting up at midnight has its perks, get to see the stars and the amazing Milky Way.