I Was the Happiest Person He'd Ever Seen

Day 3 National Parks 2011

Heard cars pull off in the parking lot and the mechanics shop open for business.  I didn’t want to get up and roll off.  I really want to sleep some more but it was sunny and the city was awake and bustling.  I finally got up at 8:30am and went to Subway to use their restroom.  It had not been cleaned up from the day before or restocked.  I had to use brown paper towel instead of TP.  I found a moth on my return to the car.  Of which I tried to liberate but it didn’t want to leave and wanted a ride to Rocky Mountain National Park.  

Colorado has a completely different terrain.  Everything is green and there are river running through everywhere, just pretty. 


I got to Glenwood Springs at 10:30am.  It was a 30 mile drive.  I went to visitor center and Joseph the staff helped me on the Map Quest to route out Rocky Mountain National Park and made reservations for Moraine Campground for me.  Sunday was the first availability and today is Wednesday.  It was all full.  Joseph was really nice and helpful. 

Went to the hot spring and soaked.  I felt toxins come out of my left toe and arm.  My head cleared.  I soaked from 11am to 12:40pm.  It was hot.  It felt really good to have those toxins come out, they were painful sitting in my body.  

I asked whether it’s the owners who commissioned the healings or is it the spirit of the hot springs that seek out human guardians to oversee the healings within the water.  It’s the later one, that was the answer I got.  I parked under the bridge to stay cool and to keep the chocolate cool.  The Spa Resort staff who spoke with an accent was nice to help me pick out a parking spot. 

I drove to City Market to buy fresh produce.  I picked out zucchini, red bell pepper, tomato, corn, key lime, and avocado.  Then I picked up a small bowl of spinach salad with alfalfa sprouts, marinated artichoke, grapes, blue cheese, olives, poppy seed dressing at the bar for $2.29.  I loved this salad.   

Then I went to get gas at a gas station.  At the pump a man showed up to do my windshield, I just love this service.  We don’t have this in California.  I asked the man about the way to Granby Lake and Rocky Mountain National Park.  I thought it would be best to check with a local since my Map Quest directions experience really haven’t panned out well so far.  He asked me which way I want to go.  I said i40 with i70E.  He commented on how I looked worried.  So he went and got a map from the shop and pointed to me how that would be the best for me to take i131 and skip the ski resort mountain passes.  Yes it showed up on the map and we both agreed how it would be difficult driving for me in this car.  I was grateful for the advice.  I asked for a change of ones in a $20. 

I did get onto i131 and somehow I missed my connection after that.  I ended up turning too early and got onto double parallel black lines on the map, which means the road is unmaintained and may be gravel road.  I ended up going on a scenic drive to the countryside of Colorado.  It was what I had imaged Colorado would be, vast mountain meadows and valleys,with river and rolling hills.  There were people who lived here and it was sparse, with lots of land and sky.  It was an a amazing tour.  I was worried about driving on the bumpy gravel road.  I drove slow and it had to be slow because I was looking more at the scenery than the road.  What a beautiful drive!  Some missed turns are a blessing.  This was just amazing.  I am glad I took the turn that seemed wrong, a mistake and it was the right one, the one I needed to be on. 

I passed through Lake Granby and the National Forest Parks and Grand Lake.  I was not interested in the National Forest Land, it was not what I had imagined for me as a place to be.  I was also unimpressed by the Hot Sulphur Springs area.  It is an old town, abandoned looking, strange and ghostly.  I stopped at Lake Granby for gas because there was no gas station beyond the i131 and i70 connection.  I feared Rocky Mountain National Park would not have a gas station either.  

A park service truck parked in front of me at the gas station.  I so needed to pee so I went to pee first and saw that I am to talk to them and telepath them to wait for me.  I ran out and chatted with the female service worker who upon seeing me smiled brightly.  We chatted and she told me the Rocky Mountain National Park is just around the corner and that I am to get info from the ranger station.  We then parted in joy. 

I was amazed I was there so close to the park already.  It was just a little after 5pm when I made it to the visitor center.  I stopped at the visitor center but it was closed.  I stood outside looking at the bulletin for information.  A man, a ranger who had clocked out for the day, took the time to walk back from where ever far he had walked to come and ask me if he could help me.  That was so nice of him.  He inquired with concern and care.  Suggested I go forward to the park gate and get info there on getting a map and campground etc. .  He didn’t have to walk all the way back for me but he did.  Now that is professional work ethic and someone with who lives with an awaken heart.    

I pulled up to the West Gate entrance, handed my National Park pass and inquired about campsites etc… The ranger was shocked to see how much energy and joy I had.  He said I was the happiest person he’s ever seen cross these gates.  I told him that I had been driving since Monday 7am. 

And it was in this moment, it was all clear, that nothing is wrong with me.  Nothing precious was broken or dead, destroyed within me.  My light was whole and shining brightly.  I am simply in toxic environments that I find suffocating and not nurturing.  The happy excitement,full of sunshine within, has not disappeared, has not abandoned me.  I have come alive, awaken again.  I have missed me.  I am so glad to discover me again.  It's good to have me back!

I proceeded and checked out the left side of the road and moose was everywhere feeding over the marshy Timber Creek area, all the way into Beaver Pond.  I stopped to see some with antler growing for the season.  I knew I needed to make it to the east side  of the park before sundown, for driving safety issues.  So I told myself I will come back and camp at Timber Creek campground on my way back out.  Colorado is as east as I will go on this trip.  The site looked beautiful, set against the marshy creek and mountains for the backdrop.  It’s just so beautiful to me.  Hardly anyone at the Timber Creek campground, not full at all. 
This road was cleared two days before my arrival. 

I drove past the continental divide and up 12,000 feet in elevation on Trail Ridge Road.  The drive was just beautiful the entire way, snow at the top and lots of it.  Snow dressed the mountain tops and made it very beautiful.  The clouds made an amazing touch.  It was super cold in that elevation, icy cold.  At the top, the wind and the curves made it a difficult driving experience.  The snow on the walls were over 20 feet.  Melting snow underneath ran like foods on the road, making it a very wet road and I found it scary to drive on it.  It was all just very beautiful.  I am beauty sensory happy.        

I used lower gear on the curves.  I also saw elk along the road tonight on the highway into Moraine Campground.  Feels good to be out here, these mountains are so beautiful and I saw these peaks from the Sierra Pass.  I didn’t know it then, back on Monday when I pointed to it and said I am going there.  What said that?  Who knew that?  Who didn’t know that?  Interesting!

I pulled into Moraine Campground at 7pm.  Ranger Mychala was there and I was so happy and she said she found my joy entertaining, that I had so much energy and happiness.  I said I think I was born with it.  I told her I was a Sagittarian.  She said she was a libra.  She gave me the option of driving around to pick  my own site.  I asked her to pick one out for me.  She wanted to know if I wanted one with a view.  She picked #101 and gave me the low down on the wait list process for the next few days.

The wait list show up at 7am and I am to sign up by the office door.  That 6am is not too early to wait for the wait list at the office door.  There are bears and that I am too keep all my things in my car trunk and to cover everything so that bears can’t tell whether it’s a cooler or a backpack. 

I found my site and rushed to pitch my tent.  I actually forgot how to put my tent up.  Either that or I was disoriented or both.  I raced against daylight.  The clouds moved in and there was a thunder show for the entire night.  In fact, I ate my dinner in the sprinkling rain watching the thunder lightening show in the sky. 




I had split pea soup.  I heated it up with the induction stove in the restroom.  I lit my picnic table with tea candle in a pink Ikea lantern.  I also had Bao Chong tea with a scoop of chocolate spread.  It was already 10pm when I finished my soup.  I washed and called it a night.  

The coyotes howled all night, if only the pack of coyotes harmonized with the thunder, rain and wind, then it would have been a great and beautiful symphony.  I guess they didn't get the memo.       

I liked this site.  It had clean chi and was clear chi.  I contemplated putting up a tarp for the rain etc…  I didn’t want to work under such conditions and in the dark.  I just prayed my rainfly worked in this nonstop downpour.  I feel so good about being here.  I am so glad I am here.  I am grateful I made it.  So it begins like this.  The wind and rain was so strong I had to put on ear plugs to sleep.  The sound of each drop of rain was strong and crystal clear, plus the wind, thunder, and coyotes.

      

Glenwood Springs via i11 and i1 was 125 miles

Lake Grand to park gate was 7 miles.