Idaho in the Dark

Day 9 National Parks 2011

I slept with two soft shell jackets on plus the hoodie.  It rained last night, and was also very windy cold.  I also added an extra layer of pants.  At 5:35am I sat in the car where I was able to stay warm, I recited and meditated.  It was during this time that I felt the Kentucky couple pack up and leave and felt them send me a spiritual goodbye.   Since I was busy, I did not turn to acknowledge physically and continued to meditate.    When I finished, I walked toward the guys from last night where they had mama moose sightings.  I promised myself to do it different, better than last night, a whole new do over in conversation and attitude. 


I was attentive in listening to whatever it is they had to over in our conversations and I was able to receive what they had to offer.  They showered me with love, affection and friendship.  They included me in their circle.  It was just a very beautiful experience and I was able to soak it all up.  Most of all, I admired their friendship of sharing, support, and mutual adoration, admiration for each other.  The Florida guy pointed out moose hooves and moose poop to me.  Denver guy said he saw a male moose cross camp at 1am.  I said, "I had wondered what smelled like poop around my tent last night."  It was that male moose who came to poop and now here we are observing it’s poop during breakfast.  We parted with goodbyes.





I began making split pea for breakfast while they packed and left for their next destination.  Denver guy also mentioned how at Boulder you can turn on the radio and people will radio in animal sightings and you can go to that spot to see them as it occurs.  He really was a walking encyclopedia of information.  I really appreciated his sharing of his knowledge with me, taking the time to educate me and teach me things.  Florida guy said California is full of nice people and if I am ever in Florida that I should go to the Everglades and as a heads up, there are lots of mosquito in the campgrounds. 

I packed and head out too after breakfast.  I drove by Grand Lake going west bound and was able to see the mountain backdrop.  It is beautiful and so is Lake ShaShone.  Stillwater campground belongs to Arapaho National Recreation Area and is off the lake.  Lake Granby at second look, is a good pass by not necessarily a place I would feel I have to stop at.     

In general, Colorado is beautiful.  It is green this time of the year with beautiful rolling hills, meadows, and rivers that run through it.  When I am here, I have such inspirations as to get on a bike and ride everywhere.  People have little ponds and lakes on their land with a dock and a wooden rowing boat.  This is what children’s picture story books are illustrated after, a kind of wonderland.

I love how the sign here has miles and kilometers
Steamboat is a ski resort town and has signs in kilometers for foreign tourists.  I stopped at a town for the restroom in the Market Place store.  I ended up spending money on artery clogging food like apple cinnamon bread, chips etc…  I was treated to a chocolate red velvet macaroon cookie, a new sample they are testing out to the public.  It was yummy, just what I needed to wake up for the rest of my drive on this very hot dry day.  I rewarded myself a snack per town I entered and to help me stay awake and entertained. 

I felt the border of Colorado and Utah was difficult to be in or even to pass through, just as difficult as the west side on the way over.  It must be a border fengsui thing I think. 

The rest of Utah was beautiful.  The area where the lake was had highway road under construction.  The lanes changed to curb shoulder lane.  I had to balance between not hitting the road cones and driving off the shoulder and also avoiding the highway cutout lane divide.  It was not a success.  It is bad for tires and suspension system to hit those. 




The significance of today’s drive was noticing how the sounds and stories in my mind are just the same as the visual dramas, movies on the screen.  It is just shifted into the audio form of sound and voices while I drove.  When I followed it, it is same as following the image, getting hooked, gone, and taken over.  This is what I must work on. 

The Utah stretch of the drive somehow seemed forever.  I pulled over to a Burger King and had a veggie burger at 8:48pm.  Then I pulled over at Walmart in Logan at 9:30pm.  It was almost 10pm when I was done with Walmart.  I was super tired but I was determined to drive to Tetons tonight and to sleep in my tent.   

I bought at Walmart: A $10 hammock, a rain sack for my pack, 2 packs of arugula salad, Corn, Lime, Tomato, Avocado, Cabbage, Zucchini, Green bell pepper

I drove on the scenic highway in full moon which brightly lit up the mountain sharp turn road.  It really felt like 8:45pm in terms of brightness of the sky.  I drove by the lake and through Idaho, missing all the beauty in the dark.  I finally made it into Wyoming and had to pull over because I was falling asleep behind the wheel at 12am. 

I pulled over at a pullout that is south of the Campground for Bridger-Teton National Forest.  I just sat in the driver seat legs crossed, head leaned back, planning on just snoozing for an hour and then continue with my drive.  At national forest you can pull into any pullout and camp for free unless it says otherwise.  I just camped in my car for the night and didn't bother with a tent.  

Grand Lake to Jensen Utah 244 miles

Jensen Utah to Logan Utah 260 miles

Logan Utah to Bridged National Forest 100 miles

Today I covered 604 miles

Hours spent driving: 14 hours