Torn Ankle

Day 11 National Parks 2011

It was cold here at night and I had trouble with sleep because I was so cold.  I got up at 6:30am and I packed up.  Site #7 family was super sweet and we waved good bye.  I made Yaoshan instant noodle, as I chewed at 8:45am, a male elk walked into my site and had breakfast with me, exactly the same line as the UK couple described.  I did not roll off until 9:36am.  I couldn’t rush my breakfast with the elk.  How often do I get to have breakfast with an elk?  I bid my good byes with the Teton mountains.  It was cloudy and overcast, a very grey looking day.  On the way out, there was a sign on Mama Bear and Cub bear sighting nearby. 


Yellowstone National Park south entrance gate was covered in snow.  It was beautiful.  The burnt tree trunks from the 80’s fire still stands and the new growth is looking like Christmas tree height.  The Lewis River was beautiful.  The Lewis Lake was beautiful in its frozen state with all the snow and ice.  I passed by a campground and it was closed, buried in snow.  The road into the campground was closed. 

I drove by Yellowstone Lake and it did not leave a big impression on me.  The Hayden Valley was amazingly beautiful with patches of snow here and there.  The rain clouds dressed the sky just wonderfully, a photographer’s paradise.  Lots of people parked their car on the road, all set up with their telescope for wild life viewing.     


I had to remind myself to stay focused and head for the campground, set up tent before the weather gets complicated and challenging for camp setup.  I pulled into North Rim, I needed to pee and wanted to see the vista point but pulled myself back in the car to stay focused and on track. 

I went to camp reservation and was happy to see the shower facility along with laundry.  I was set up at an RV site off the main road and then I switched to the tent only site not next to the toilet.  I had site #D86.  When I pulled into the site, I saw snow was all over each site, pretty buried.  The only clearing was the road and the fire pit ring and picnic table.  I along with everyone else had to pitch our tent on the road.  My tent did not fit and I had to adjust to squeeze in the dirt area off the pavement where rolling traffic was on.  This will do, as long as it does not get too windy because my tent is not properly staked down, I can’t stake on the pavement.  I prefer this than being next to the RVs or the road.   


I saw a brown bear at the East Gate.  I saw the bear cross in front of me looking for grub and then I noticed rangers were present to traffic the bear path and human contact, keeping humans at a safe distance to protect both parties.  What at sight and this was my first day in the park!  Cool!. 

At 3pm I was done with setting up my tent and I went to use the restroom.  I felt very disoriented and exhausted, as I stepped out of the restroom door, my ankle caught the door step, I forgot there was a step there.  My ankle caught the step and I fell onto my right side landing on my right pinky toe, twisting my ankle and hit my entire right side of my body hard on the ground.  I fell so hard to the ground and I was in so much pain that I had to stay down on the cold icy ground in pain.  I could not move for quite some time.  I felt terrible.  I decided that all I could do was to manage to shuffle myself back to my tent and rest.  I couldn’t walk or put pressure on my right leg. 


At 5:35pm I decided I needed to start a fire and BBQ to roast some vegetables.  I was tired and didn’t realize that not all my charcoal lit so I didn’t actually have enough heat.  I spent the next five hours relighting my charcoal over and over again.  I ended up inhaling lots of smoke.  I lit a lot of matches.  I refused to give up.  It rained and I continued my quest. Then it snowed and hailed.  I did manage to cook 2 green bell peppers, 1 corn, 3 carrots, 2 zucchini, 3 potato.  I was upset about the fall and the injuries I sustained and how long this BBQ was taking, and I managed to burn my left index finger on a charcoal.  It’s a good thing there was ice and snow everywhere to be able to just ice it. 

One of my neighbor is Italian from Santa Barbara with two little kids.  The son didn’t want to be here and didn’t want to go anywhere.  I think he has a hard time adjusting to the reality of how the universe does not revolve around him.  He is super cute.  The wife wanted to not have to camp and stay at a hotel instead but all the hotels were booked.  The husband has a passion for camping.  They had a tent where the rainfly didn’t reach the ground and they will be cold if not already wet with this weather.  The man was super nice to me.  They had a big fire and I refused to take up on his offer of fire.  I was stubborn about mastering self reliance to at least get this fire thing right on my own tonight. 
This Italian family, the daughter is like the father with an easy carefree spirit.  The son is like the mother.  The father owns the gas pedal, the mother owns the breaks.  They listen to each other and meet in the balanced middle.  It was fun for me to watch all of this.     

I missed my shower time, the showers was closed when I was done for the night with the BBQ.  The water is glacier cold in the restroom.  I boiled hot water to wash up.  The good thing is I cooked enough food for 5 days of eating.  In this temperature, the food will keep fine in the cooler without ice.  Anyways if I need ice, it's everywhere, I just have to reach or it.  It is very cold tonight in the 20’s.