Two Medicine Indigenous Performance

Day 24 Glaciers National Parks 2011

I got up at 2am and star gazed.  My back was in numbing burning pain, my feet were also burning.  I tried to stretch it out but I wasn’t successful.  I resorted to sleeping on the sides in a way to ease the tension.  It’s a good thing my day was schedule to start at noon, so l just laid in bed to rest.  I saw a squirrel run into my tent door and took a peek and then ran off, it was pretty cute, same family as a rat, but way more cute. 

It is a bit grey and hazy today, breezy too.  It is warm too without the wind.  It is warm in the tent too, the sleeping bag was unnecessary.  Felt good to listen to nature and meditate.  I wondered if sometime in the past I had such a thought that landed me here at this time, “It’s okay, I don’t mind too much that the Saha world is a pain.  I will stay focused on the tasks at hand.  Bring it on!”  What was I thinking? 

The campground looked empty again.  People stay here for a night or two and then move on.  At 9am service crew came by to check bear bins, fire pit, do restrooms, and maintenance up keep.         

I decided to sit in my car and look at the beautiful scenery, totally protected from mosquitoes to enjoy my tea.  My site has the best views of the mountains.  As I took in the beauty I reflected on how I used my voice.   My heart speaks in my prayers and transference for peace and healing of everything and everyone.  I used my voice through my hands and feet in service of benefiting others to help them along their journey. 

Super windy, so I cooked in the restroom using the induction stove.  I made soup with carrots and cabbages in Bagute spice pouch.  I cooked quinoa and soba too.

I met a Southern German couple rolling in an RV, Hilgda and Siegfre.  They were sweet and friendly.  They picked the campsite next to mine.  They had just arrived from West side of Glacier National Park.  They left at 7:30am and it was 90 miles of driving.  I showed them my photos of the east side and recommended where they should go on this side.  Time flew and it was already 1:13pm, I cleaned up camp and made Darjeerling tea and rolled off at 2pm. 



I went to Jackson Glacier Point and it was 2:23pm when I parked my car.  I parked next to Jeremy Wei from Washington, he is a park ranger in his twenties.  It is rare to come across a young Asian male park ranger.  It’s as rare as spotting a young Asian male monastic.  Because it is so rare, it felt really special.  Jeremy was busy helping a tourist so I ran up the road to make up for the lost time.  I wondered if it was important for me to chat and interact with him.  He reminded me of my friend Richy, once an artist, now with a desk job. 



I rushed and ran on the incline mountain road.  I don’t even know how I managed to run but I had zeal underneath my feet.  I started with a fantasy scenario in my head of having just escaped from the near death of falling in to a crevasse.  I imaged I was ten times stronger, flexible, and agile in grace and ease than I truly am physically.  It’s a fantasy so I can do anything and be anything.  I felt good that way today.  Yes, I just chose to ignore the pains from the injuries.  Somehow the pain is just too hard to ignore at night, it burns, numbs, screams, “What have you done!  Why do you do this to me?  What is your problem?  Why don’t you learn?  Why don’t you listen to my communication? ”


The waterfalls, cascades from the snow melt were clear, clean and amazing.  The cold breeze from the melting snow was chilly.  I hiked in sleeveless top because I was still hot from yesterday’s heat.  Then it sprinkled and then it rained.  I see why I had to rush and saw I had to start my trail no later than 2pm.  I was in down pour the last 15 minutes of my hike.  It actually felt great to hike in the rain. 

I spotted a fly upside down with wings soaked in a puddle of rain.  I tried to rescue it without killing or hurting it with two rocks to pick it up but I ended up dropping it somehow back onto the puddle.  I decided to use my fingers to pick him up and put him underneath a plant so he can dry up.  Hopefully I didn’t damage his wings when I dropped him.  This was the most adventurous part of my walk. 

I came across Jeremy the Asian ranger towards the end of my hike.  I waved at him and initiated the conversation.  He stopped and asked how I was doing.  I told him I was great.  He mentioned the subject of rain.  I said, “This is not rain, just sprinkles.”  He then vented on a family back in the parking lot and who was really upset about the rain ruining their entire vacation as if the ranger had to fix the rain to save their vacation.  I responded, “Well then, they are not really on a vacation then.”  I shared with him that the walk felt much shorter than I thought, it sure wasn’t four miles.  He said they moved the block off closer to the trail head because of avalanche danger.  I responded cheerfully, “Well, I would rather be alive.”  As we parted, I felt great he had the zeal and enjoyed what he does for the park and for the visitors.  I hope that he recovers from getting dumped on by the visitors’ frustration of Logan Pass closure for safety reasons and the rain.  Honestly without the rain, there would be no amazing clouds and rainbows to decorate the spectacular sky.  Plus my car is getting a nature wash and so is my tent, totally awesome!   The smell of the rain is so wonderful. 

At 4pm, I sat in the car, had two croissants with chocolate spread and blueberry jam.  I sat in the car for an hour to wait for the rain to lighten up for a safer mountain drive back to camp.  It didn’t lighten up.  People continued to come and continued to walk in the rain with pancho.  I rolled off at 5:20pm singing, “I need to pee”.  I needed to pee an hour ago but I waited for the rain to ease up.  I ran for the restroom when I got back to camp. 

I felt immensely fatigued, I needed a nap.  I laid on my hammock.  With all the moisture in the air, it was most likely the best time to be on the hammock, the mosquitoes are hiding from the rain.  My hands began to freeze at 6pm and I went into my tent to warm up, the rain then down poured.  What good timing to have avoided the downpour on the hammock.   

I laid in the tent and pulled the covers on.  It was then that I realized where I felt the fatigue, it was in my head.  The points were; choking around the neck, blockage at the left front side above temporal point, two inches above point of ear, and thymus.  At 6:45pm I felt something repel off.  It was like a dental x-ray weight cover that flung off.  I then opened my eyes and I felt wide awake, rested.  The rain down poured.                


Tonight was the Two Medicine Indigenous performance at St. Mary’s Visitor Center.  I arrived at 7:25pm.  I came across Ranger Austin who was by the door checking tickets.  I didn’t know tickets were required.  I went to the bookstore to buy my ticket.  All the good seat were gone.  I saw B3 as the place to be.  Row A is reserved.  As I approached my seat, I noticed it was right next to the drummer and singers.  As it turns out they are the ones I heard on the radio driving into the park.     

The ranger at the desk flagged me down and it was the same ranger I saw last night.  I didn’t recognize him tonight.  He wore a totally different energy.  He didn’t look like the back country hitch hiker grassroots activist with fatigued soul.  Tonight he stood as a distinguished gentleman of greatness ready to connect and communicate.  He flagged me down to inquire what I thought of Cut Bank, a place he recommended for me to hike on.  I told him I haven’t been because of the rain.  He curiously wanted to know what I did today.  He was very helpful in informing me of the weather for tomorrow and reminded me that Grizzly Lake is a strenuous hike in snow.  I assured him that I will exercise safety, I will hike until I can’t and turn around. 

As I head for the theatre doors, I saw a young man preparing for his performance.  He too had the spiritual force when he is suited up and getting ready for the zone.  The singers, dancers, drummers were all beautiful and preformed with dignity and respect that honored their tradition.  I find lawyer Elder Joe, kind hearted and he added the cheeky circus show as the MC with his side comments.  He turned something sacred, spiritual into a circus show act.  I find this aspect of the performance can use improvement.  I wondered how he valued his tradition.  I wondered how he thought about us, the audience and our capacity to connect with his sacred tradition. 

The last dance was a group dance and I joined in, we held hands and stomped in a circle.  It was a victory dance done by women as their men came home.  I joined in because I wanted to celebrate strength and success.  I watched Ranger Austin and Jeremy in the circle, as rangers they held their strong leadership, ruler of guidance and protection.  As guests in the circle, their kindred souls shined, their pure innocent spirits come forth.  I saw the cultivator, the monastic healthy within them. 

After the show I dashed for the showers.  I had to rush, I had 7 minutes and it was a sloppy wash, when I was done I still had soap on me, I guess this is camp clean for tonight.  I had to rush out as the staff was politely waiting for me to exit to close and lock up so he can sleep, so he can call it a night. 

I made it back to camp and I noticed all the sites were full.  My tent was covered in rain and I did a shake to shake off the rain.  The rain down poured again at 11pm.