Trees Are Easier To Spot Than People in Whiteout


Snowboarding Day 23 Season 2011

I slept for 12 hours, I was so very tired. I just fell asleep with lights on. I saw myself in the mirror and I was all in colors of purple and grey. It was windy cold outside and the Sky lift was on wind hold. I felt no rush to get to the slopes. I decided it’s my vacation and I can do it however I feel like. I want to chill, eat my food slowly. I had pumpkin soup and then I ate the rest of the Cheese Board bread with fig preserve, a lovely gift from uncle Ben, it all went well with high mountain tea. I am a blessed person, I am showered with kindness. My heart is warmed by this.

As I drank tea I thought about this, “I wish to bring you to those places, to show you the world, your tea and tea pot will have to represent instead.”

The story on this bread, I was at Cheese Board Pizza with John and Toure, I had the loaves of bread in underneath my arm pit to free my hands to handle money and pick up plates of pizza slices. In the midst of the rush, I forgot to pay for the bread that was jammed between my armpit or it was more like I forgot to tell him I needed to pay for the bread between my armpits. When I had the pizzas in my hands and the financial transaction was done, I told the cashier I need to also pay for the loaves of bread and that I forgot to mention it. He said to forget it and I got the bread for free. John and Toure commented on that and I said, “I guess I am being rewarded for telling the truth.”

I did not begin my morning recitation until 1pm and made it out to the slopes at 1:30pm. Most people were leaving the parking lot and the place was looking very empty. It was sprinkling and the sky was looking very grey with little visibility. I was looking forward to little traffic and powder to ride on.

The First Ride lift was closed due to lack of snow left. All lessons are on Patsy and Mombo via Powder Bowl Express lift. I went down Patsy and was amazed that I couldn’t imagine I could graduate from Patsy this season. That it took me 45 minutes just to get down this very short run.

Today, I had my mask on and 3 layers of tops on. It was a good call, it was windy cold. The powder melted upon contact. I see what NOAA means when it reports snow showers and little or no accumulation of snow means.  It means this. I needed goggle wipes. Visibility was an issue but the lack of people on the slopes made it easy. I really enjoy weekday slopes, have the place mostly to myself, not good for business but great for my enjoyment. I was able to zip down Canyon slope in 15 minutes.

Due to whiteout I decided to go into the woods because they are clear and easier to spot than people. Since there was like no one else around, I didn’t have to worry about fast riders who would clip my head off or yell at me for slow speed on black diamond.

In the woods I managed to have lots of fun. It’s a new challenge, a skill I was going to tackle next season. In the woods I actually found powder to ride on. I’d say this was the best part, there was a good seven inches of powder and I caught an edge and fell forward. I landed on my chest and my board kept on tumbling forward. It’s good thing I used to be flexible. If I had known I’d keep going, I would have pushed off my hands and completed the forward flip in style. I will find out tomorrow how I faired form all of this. On icy parts, I slid on my bum for awhile to avoid major injury. I hope this pair of pants holds up well, I do have two colors of duct tape in the trunk to patch holes. In just two hours in the woods I had so much fun and an awesome workout in the woods, my legs burned. I was hungry one and half hours into my ride, I couldn’t believe it because I like just ate for 5 hours this morning.

Today's Contemplation
“How do I go about locating this kind of ways of living daily at home?”

At 3:30pm I was nervous, it was getting dark and I could barely see. I got out of the woods, the snow was looking flat in terms of lighting and it was difficult to make out this patch of snow from that bump or curve. I got onto the wide slopes and I couldn’t see much there either. I had to follow the orange closed border ropes to find my way out and down the mountain. I was nervous and I could see how people get injured and lost in the slopes on difficult condition days. It is so easy to mess up. I began to think how I should always carry emergency blanket and how I need bright clothes not black and white because I just blend into the background. How I need light and emergency flares. I tried to see without goggles and it was same poor visibility. The slopes should be nice tomorrow with all this powder. I am so glad I am here and there are more days of this ahead. This is so much fun!

I ate hummus, seaweed salad, half cup hot coco, and 12 strawberries for first dinner.  Like a Hobbit, I had second dinner, Indian food.