Trying to Take It All In One Last Time

Snowboarding Day 29 End of 2011 season

I woke up at 5:11 and snoozed 3 times.  I made myself get up and hit the snooze button three times.  I have this snooze habit I would like to change. 

My eyes were red from not getting enough rest.  I can rest tonight and tomorrow after I get home.  I had a headache that started to flare up.  I felt dehydrated, over heated, inflamed. 

I was at the parking lot by 8:35am.  The sky was dark and grey and it was snowing.  Hardly any traffic on the slopes this morning.  The silence and the stillness would have felt a bit scary if not for the knowledge of the presence of amazing Heavenly resort staff. 

There was powder everywhere.  I spent my time circling around trees going between threes, going underneath branches ducking, riding on buttery powder. 

The Sky lift was closed so it was all canyon express.  The lanes for the lift was super icy, people fell, I fell each time too.  It was very dangerous.  People commented how ice skates would have been better. 

I kept looking at the trees knowing without this snowboard, I would not be in these steep mountains.  I tried to memorize the visuals, the feeling, the smell, the sound, it will all look different next season.  I will rely on these recalls for the next half year because I will miss all of this while I am away from these woods.  I wrote thanks on the snow in gratitude to the mountain, nature, all we went through in the past 6 months together.  

Black diamond, I couldn’t even imagine it, and here I am graduated from bunny slopes to blue diamond slopes.  It all happened because I trained and clocked in hours on the slopes with dedication and encouragement, support of this staff and nature.

2:20pm, it was time to go home, it was time to part.  I ate bread with sundried tomato artichoke spread and drank hot chocolate.  I didn’t roll off until 3pm.  I wasn’t exhausted, I felt good.  The first 75 miles drive home was difficult.  It felt like a super long journey.