He Soaked Himself in Alcohol All Day

Day 16 snowboarding


My body was so sore this morning.  How can one week of inactivity do this much damage of weakening of muscles?  Sore or not, it was another day of snowboarding. 


What does it mean on the weather report when it said Snow/Rain.  It means snow in the air and rain when it hits the ground therefore there is no snow accumulation. 

I had many dreams but I cannot remember them.  Staying in bed I felt a bit depressed.  The depression was growing so I quickly got up and ate 2 slices of bread with tapenade, drank tea and did my morning ceremony.  While I recited I saw I had fears.

I loaded the car at 7:45am and lifted the hood to check my coolant in the radiator.  Yup 10 minutes of running the engine last night mixed the coolant concentrate with water on its own.  My transmission is going to be okay.  I was so relieved.

I made it to Heavenly parking lot a little after 8am.  The lifts were all running by then too.  The lot was pretty empty and snow was in the air.  I was happy to see and looked forward to the powder.  It was wonderful to get onto Sky Express and do the runs.  I so enjoyed the powder.  It’s all ice underneath.  So I am glad for the powder as buffer.  Up on the Ridge run it was complete whiteout and down on High Five it was gentler.  

I stopped and sat among the trees, I laid on my back to watch the snow float in the air.    It’s just all very beautiful and wonderful to feel.  On the Mombo run I worked on my cursive ‘e’ consecutive carvings on the powder.  It was so much fun.  As much fun as it looked when others did them.  I dreamed of being able to do this first time I saw it.  I have more stamina now.  So I am able to almost do an entire blue diamond run without a rest.  I had so much fun this morning.  The quietness of the runs were great, not too much people traffic.  It really helps to start early.    

It was 10:30am and I had only two hours of riding but it was time to head down and do the long drive home. The sun peaked out for a bit.  I was reluctant to leave but I am well aware of the storm reaching at 4pm in full force for 8 inches snow accumulation and that is no joke for driving conditions.   

I headed for California Lodge to look at my photos from yesterday on the slopes.  Heavenly has cameras and photographers stationed on the slopes taking pictures and you can view them and buy them after.  I ate food in the car, I’ve been having a really big appetite lately.  I drove off at 11:30am. 

I checked at 8am and there were chains required then and at 11am no chains were required.  Timing is very important for my trek over the summit pass.  I began my incline up Echo summit and my car came to a complete stop.  All cars were the same.  I turned my engine off to wait.  In a few minutes I saw a cop, snow shovel truck go by.  A few cars came around the opposite traffic direction.  It turned out there was an avalanche and the cars decided to not wait for the clearing and made a u-turn to head back down the lake.  I needed to be at home and so waiting in the mountain or down at the lake is of no difference to me.  

I started to drink tea and eat strawberry chocolate.  Other cars broke out their cooler and made a spread on the highway and pulled out their folding chairs.  It took 40 minutes to clear away the snow, not that big of a deal.  I was on the road driving again.  I really needed to pee, that 40 minute delay really threw my schedule off but I was determined to not make any stops until I was done with the mountains.  People drive so fast in the mountains, pretty insane in my opinion.

At the Taco Bell in Sacramento, I pulled into for a restroom break, I saw a man putting water into his radiator.  I so needed to pee, yet when I saw him my concern was to offer him coolant and forget about the urgency to pee.  I was hoping it would not take up all the concentrated coolant I had but he used it all.  He was still in need of more.  The guy lost his radiator cap long ago and never bothered to replace it, or maybe he was short on cash. 

I went in to pee and came out and was ready to roll out when the same man came back to ask me if I have jumper cable to jump his late 70’s car.  I did and I jumped his car.  What did I know about jumping cars? What did I know about putting snow chains on?  I saw it done once.  I recalled both engines had to be off and cables snapped on red first then the other.  Run the dead car first then the mine.  When it is jumped remove the black cables first then the red. 

This guy is an alcoholic, he smelled like he soaked himself in alcohol day in and day out.  He does seem like a decent person who had a gangster past.  The woman he had in the car was gentle and grateful.  The man had no words of gratitude and took things as if the world owed him and it was his right.