Wenson's Wedding



Give a little more light, all will be ok

Day 7
I got up early to have wantons for breakfast. It is Sunday and lots of places are closed. I like the wanton stand run by an elderly couple. They are really humble and nice. It's really nice to eat or drink things made by good people, the food just tastes that much better.

I then went to my hair appointment to get my hair styled for the wedding. I went to MeiMei Salon. I had wanted the 10am appointment but it was taken and when I arrived for my 11am appointment I saw my Aunt and she was getting her hair done. We were all getting our hair done for the same wedding event. When I was done the next appointment was another guest for the weddding too. This salon was upgraded from the first floor to the second. I like this new place better, the lighting is nice and everything is quite new. It was fun to watch the stylist interact with her kids. Her daughter in training is the hair washer and massager and hair dryer. Her son is the receptionist who pours tea and answers the phone. Conversations showed her concern over her daughter's safety in the modern time in the age of computer internet dating and friends. Conversations with her son showed her fun relaxed playfulness. I really enjoyed getting my shoulders and neck massaged before getting my hair washed. It's quite common here to get a massage along with hair wash. I think it's worth the run to the salon just to get my neck, shoulder, head massaged. My body is getting really nice care and attention recently, very nice thing. I told the stylist what I was wearing tonight and she decided to set my hair with a more of a classic curl.

I told my Aunt that I didn't want to have lunch becauase I want to look nice in my dress. I headed over to my cousin's place just in time for the departure to the engagement ceremony and wedding ceremony. They chose to do it all in one afternoon. Lots of things I haven't picked up on what is involved in the gift exchange. One thing for sure is to get out of the way when the fire crackers explode. They do pop and fly everywhere. It's really quite a hazard. No one seems to get into any trouble. They all seem to know how to dodge at the fly of the sound.










Getting ready for the engagement procession. Gifts of gold and money is traditional gifts to give to the bride and her family.







The ride in the city was interesting to watch. All the cars swivle out of the line and into the line, in and out all in unison. Somehow each car is able miss scratching or damaging another, it's like a traffic dance, this is a different kind of skill. I have my little point and shoot to take photos. They have 4 photographers shooting photos for this day. I have watched them and they go for the main point shots. I have chosen to concentrate on expression in the moment with just our family memebers and the bride and groom here and there. Takes the load off easily not being the main photographer. I can actually enjoy the festivity.
















Fire crackers are blasted for good luck. You have to watch out for your own safety like crossing the street with the traffic here.














Engagement involves serving tea and the guests are usually both sides of parents and elder like grandma or grandpa. They are to put in red envelopes in the tray as they take the tea. Then exchanges of gold rings and necklaces takes places between the bride and groom. Incense is lit and both the bride and groom bows to the ancesters as respect and in thanks for their blessings. My cousin's grandma who is in her 90's an excellent maker of Anka sauce was in all smiles today. This is her first grand son's wedding. She's is definately hoping for a great grandson soon, so is everyone else. Everything is done in certain good time frame and chosen carefully. Today was 3:01pm for the ring exchange and for the wedding it's before 5pm. The bride's family returns the gift exchange with pastries. The pastries have to be set in even numbers for good luck. Odd numbers is a bad thing. I don't know what accounts for even and odd.









We headed back to the wedding ceremony which takes place in the Groom's side. I rode in the tech car, one of two. The videographer is another cousin of mine and I am responsible for opening the sun roof for him to pop out of the car to videograph while the car is running. I'm pretty good at pressing the sunroof button. It's quite an important task. My uncle in law was the driver and in his car he has a TV screen in it.


Bride's maids here follow the British tradition of wearing white to help ward off bad spirits as protection for the bride.




My other cousins helped with carrying the sweet pastry engagement boxes from the Bride's parents.





Back in the Groom's house they have to enter their wedding room and more ceremony takes on with foods to eat and drink and blessing you say to them while that is happening. My mom is the one who leads the bride out of the car into the room. It's a significant task. The one who is asked to do this is usually someone who is and elder who has lots of blessings. My mom was happy about this day and this task. She looks so bright and wonderful.


After the ceremony in the room, more is done at the family alter. Both the bird and groom lights insence and bows to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and ancesters. On the table, there are significant items of fruits and flowers and pastries all done in proper number and types of items and colors. Then the bride and groom officially kneels and bows to the groom's parents and grandma. Grandma blesses the ceremony by putting on more gold rings as gifts. Then photos are taken to document the new family.









It is customary to bow to the Groom's parents.



My mom had the big role of ushering the bride to the wedding ceremony.Traditionally the person invited to carry out this honored role is someone whom most people see as someone with lots of blessings.





Another groomsmen rushing to the ceremony after parking the car.


This is the appetizer plate. All the plates are ginormous at receptions.






My uncle Masa and the Groom's grandma.




They way Chinese Wedding goes, is that a red invitation card is hand delivered to guests who are nearby and those who are far away are sent via mail. There is no RSVP, it is understood that people will come. There is no guest limit. You can bring your entire family and etc... As the host you are suppose to account for those people and be prepared. So it is customary to set up extra tables for the reception. So at the scene of the reception there is often last minute chaotic organization to set up guests and make sure everyone has a seat.
















At the reception table there is oftem the wedding album for viewing, guest sign in and red envelope gift account. This is my cousin WeiXiang and his wife, they are both script writers for TV drama series.



Before dinner was served there was a light show and techno mixed music was played. It feels like a night club effect, feels even more weird that no one is dancing. It was a nice light show.

The couple is introduced and walkes down the isle to their table. They have certain games at the reception all to hook and connect the next new couples that are usually their friends. Six female friends of the bride was named for the stage and to pick out a ribbon the one whose ribbon is tied to the bouqet is the one who is said to be married next. I think this takes place of bouqet toss. Then the garter toss is replaced by a game bag. Two good male friends of the groom is asked to go up to the stage and pick out a red bag of gifts. Inside the gift is a phone number. Whose phone it rings is the girl who is set up for their date. (what happens if you really don't like who you got?)














The bride changes clothes many time during the reception. In the old times it signified the abundance of blessing to be able to afford such a luxury. The weddings here have a bridal secretary. You can hire her for $300 plus dollar to do set your fashion style for the night of make up and accessory. She also helps you get in and out of your dress. She replaces the roles of brides maid who traditionally handles all that.





Dinner was deliciuos. I was full at the third course so was everyone. But the plates kept on comming. I ate and ate and ate. It is rare to go to a wedding and be able to eat everything.


Candy Favors being assembled for the gift basket.


Toasting is a must.












Photos of the Bride and Groom are usual wedding favors you an pick up at the reception desk.







My 3rd aunty and her family.



With my cousin Chan Chan who is the best man tonight. He is taking the weekend off from his military service to attend his brother's wedding.




Candy is handed out at the thank you for coming reception line. It is also a place to get your photos taken with the bride and groom. The reception ended at 9:30pm and
I headed over to my 3rd uncle's place and his daughter handed me a box of nail polish kit for styling including floral making pens and brush. I didn't stay long because I was tired and I have a big day tomorrow.