Antelope Canyon

Con't Day 4 National Park 2010

very old fossil
The drive to north to Page towards Glen to get to Antelope canyon was depressing and uninterestingly difficult mentally.  It was super hot and dry and I did pull over to a Navajo craft and art stand on a pull off.  What attracted me was a Navajo grandma.  I really wanted to support her but I didn’t see anything I liked.  She barely spoke English, mainly Navajo, she knew how to say $10, $5, $8.  She was gentle and kind.  I made it to Page and missed the turn off to Antelope Canyon.  Instead I found a Burger King and didn’t see a Safeway because Safeway was 3 miles more into town.  I had two garden burgers and was totally unimpressed.  It’s amazing how hungry I am today. 

I made it to Antelope Upper Canyon Point.  The turn off is the one on the right.  The Lower Antelope Canyon Point is the turn off on the left.  The upper is 3 miles in from the parking lot and you have to ride on a truck to get out there.  It is $20 guided tour.  I went for the lower point after paying an entrance fee of $6 to park and go to the counter to inquire on the tour.  I read in the tour book that the lower point you can just walk to the slot canyon a few yards away however the people there insisted it was only a guided tour and $20. It literally is a few yards from the parking lot after the dinosaur foot print.  .  The guided tour limits time and access in the canyon.  They open a certain part to public and reserve the rest for Navajo use only.  Plus it makes sure no one dies of flash flood, three Europeans died of flash flood in the slot canyons a few years ago not paying attention to flash flood dangers.   

The entire canyon walk is ¼ mile. I ended up paying more this way with the parking fee at the other place and then the tour here, however, I felt this payment was to have Cody as my personal guide, it was my affinities with him that drew me here at this time to have him as my guide.  He was a young high school graduate contemplating college, maybe was what he said.  He was a nice spirit to walk with, a kindred soul.  He is a seer.  The other guides play music and kind of rush you and pull you along, controlling and interferes with your experience.  Cody gives me a lot of space and room to breathe and leave me be to interact with the canyon as a spiritual experience and as a photographer.  Cody was there when I needed and not there the rest of the time like a ninja, like a spirit guide, like a guardian angel.  He showed trust in me and how I would go about experiencing this place and I had a lot of trust in him to watch over everything.  He didn’t pull me or push me with his chi or thoughts, harming, violating, exhausting, confusing, and blinding me in those ways.  He didn’t cloud me mind and limit it with it.  He was so light like a feather and effortless.  I bet he has an easy time flying at night so weightless, I bet he can travel far at night if he wanted to.  Cody is learning about photography and paintball.  He photographed me along the tour.  Towards the end of the trail back, he helped two tourist take the short cut up the other set of stairs who felt done and was ready to leave.  We parted there.  I was left to walk with another group to finish the last part myself.  I took my time, it was the end of the day and I like having the canyon to myself.
 

I learned that if you bring a tripod regardless what camera you have you can get a press pass and stay 4 hours without a tour guide.  I didn’t bring a tripod.  Cody told me the best time of the day for the canyon is 10:30-12pm for spot lighting or 2-4pm for change of colors.  That this canyon to Cody’s opinion was not his favorite one for photography and this public tour guide part of the trail is not his favorite spot for this trail. 

Yutan a young female was now my tour guide, she didn’t bother me even though I was taking me time crawling like a snail speed.  She is Sam’s girlfriend, the other guide, the pushy one.  Yutan sang in the slot canyon which turns out, has amazing acoustic and her song, her voice sounded holy in the slot canyons.  Yutan sang a chant as she stood at the entrance waiting for me.  Her voice was a beautiful accompaniment to the end of this tour.  The one hour tour turned into two.   Yutan’s chant was prayer  chant for her mother who is ill.  I told her about Joanne Shenendoah who she nothing about.  I highly recommend that she gets into a recording studio for her voice and she said the male teachers in her tradition does not recommend women have public interface like that, that only men record. 

the locals said this was a dinosaur print



What the slot canyon looks like from ground level
 Yutan's fiancé, another guide who played beautiful music that echo throughout the canyon.

I left the area at 4:30pm, the place closed down after I left.