Horse Shoe Vista Navajo Bridge Vermillion Cliff Kaibab National Forest

Con't Day 4 National Park 2010
I headed for Kaibab National Forest.  I passed by the Horse Shoe vista point where the Colorado River bends in horse shoe shape.  I passed the Navajo Bridge and looked for Condors that hover over the bridge and river.  I tried to pass a truck for some foolish reason and was not successful, my engine rev’d hard and did not move out of 45mph, I had to move back to the single lane before the on coming vehicle meets me.  Foolish for the risk in car crash and death of me and others.  Foolish for putting my engine at the risk of burning it.  I apologized to my car for reckless handling and promised to not ever do that again, ever.  I must have been tired to have made such poor judgment and execution.  Who made that decision to do that and who allowed it to be carried out?

The drive to Kaibab was just beautiful.  I passed by Vermillion Cliff and wide prairies that looked like an oil painting from the pioneer era, expansive and beautiful.  This long stretch of the drive going from east to west was all landscape with one little place to eat.  It was totally without human civilization to obstruct the views.   
 

 
 
It was almost 7pm when I finally picked out a dirt pull out into the forest and looked for my first disperse camp site camping experience at Kaibab National Forest.  I pulled over at 600 mile mark with a pond next to it. 
 
 
 
It was a bit further away from the road so you have the wall of trees to block off sounds of cars.  The site was very close to the official paid campground.  The area not visible to the open road was vast and full of campsites and stone camp fire built and left for others to use.  Some had unused wood for others to use.  Each site is divided by logs from fallen trees.  In this area was a truck towing a RV camper.  The residents were a pair of grandparents and two grandsons 6 years old and 9. 

I set up camp and was excited about this place and rushed to set up camp with the remaining sunlight.  I got cooking and began to open another can of Spaghetti O and saw it had meatballs in it,….what the…?  First the beans with beef now with meatballs?  So I politely walked to my neighbor and introduced myself and asked if they would be up for eating this.  Grandma politely accepted after asking the kids if they would like it.  Grandpa kindly asked me if I needed anything and looked out for my safety for the duration of my stay as their neighbor.  I have to say that was very unexpected, his kind regard for me, a total stranger.  Maybe this spaghetti o meatball was the way for me to have this experience and it wasn’t about eating spaghetti o, it was just a catalyst. 

I entertained the idea of building a fire but I really didn’t know how to and it’s too much work and resource for one person in my opinion.  Plus this site is next to a pond and that means lots of mosquitoes nearby.  I got bit all over.  I didn’t mind because I knew I had cedar oil as ointment for the swells.  I need to know how to build a fire.  For dinner I tried the fava beans in secrete spice and I wasn’t a big fan of this.  
 
I walked around and noticed how amazing this dispersed campsites were.  It looked self organized.  People have made popular use of the place, there were lots of self made site with fallen logs as dividers and rocks set up for fire rings.  It's beautiful here!  Totally comfortable and convenient access and plenty to choose from and still you wouldn't feel crowded in.  I need to come across something like this closer to home.