Watchman Campground

Day 14 National Parks 2010

There is wind today.  The weather is in the 90’s.  With the wind carrying the cold from the icy river brushing against the 140 degree mountain surface, it all meshed nicely. 

A couple who stayed at another site wanted my site and was very happy I was leaving.  I am happy for them, I really liked my spot by the river but not off the Pa’Rus trail, the foot traffic is bothersome to me.  This site is surrounded by greens and trees, and had it’s own privacy protection, an isolated feel, quite wonderful.  Nature changes though, it is this way this season and next season it will be different. 

I went to visitor center to find out about backpacking in the back country and charge batteries.  Zion back country seems pretty exciting.  I would need more about canyoneering too.  I don’t see myself as a repeller.  But I would like to add a wet suit to me list of too brings. 

Watchman campground “C” loop is in front of Watchman Mountain Ridges.  My site number is #4.  The sites here are spacious and it’s is not as packed as South Campground.  The mountains are colors of blood orange, fire red and sienna.  My tent is nestled under 2 trees full of squirrels running about.  I have only seen chipmonks run about not squirrels, here the squirrels dominate. 

I’m not sure if it is the mountains or the names of the mountains after biblical terms, somehow find it inviting to have conversations with the Zion Mountains. 

The warm breeze felt great.  The sound of the birds and the leaves singing by the wind is soothing.  Watching the blue sky and the colorful mountain takes me back to childhood when I used to do this daily. 

Is it selfish of me to want self protection? Self preservation? Is it selfish of ne to not want to withdrawn from everyone?  Is it selfish of me to want to advance forward and take leaps and take flight and wanting to leave others in the dust?

I ate Korean Nori, Taiwanese mochi, go raw sheets, gobo jerky, tea.  Then I took a nap in 99 degree weather underneath the tree for 2 hours.  I woke up from the nap and found myself hungry again.  For dinner I ate beans in tomato sauce and the last of Bulgarian cabbage stuffed rice. 

A camper family across from me offered me to join them for tubing for $17 and offered to let me borrow their bikes but none of the bikes fit my height.  Yes, bike a big thing that I felt I would have like to have but really I don’t have any room for it, even a folding bike. 

Another neighbor named Mike gave me info on shower in Springdale.  He and his son are heading up to Yellowstone next.  They are from Irvine.   I told them what Maya told me from North Rim Grand Canyons that it snowed and it would be best if they had snow chains.  They did, they came prepared. 

I feel like I lived two years in two weeks.  It is amazing what two weeks can do.  How come I have waited this long to do this?  Why is this the first time I am doing this?  I so needed to have done this all my life.  What a fool I have been to not have done this any earlier. 

In the afternoon when I was about to go for a walk I realized I forgot to pack and organize the car for urban travel set up.  So I took the time to do it.  I got super excited about organizing.  Most of all I love efficiency and smooth flow.  I did not make it out for a swim in the river or a walk or a hike today.  Well, that is okay.  That is what is good about traveling solo, any change of plans based up on current personal needs supersedes any itinerary or pre planned ideas.  It feels good to be in the now. 

I like the chi in Watchman campground.  Having the Watchman Mountain as background is marvelous.  The feeling is good.  I spent 5 hours in the river yesterday and that was the highlight for me. Sometimes the logical success oriented part of me feels like it is a waste to not cover every inch of this place or any new place I am at and do everything.  A part of me want to tackle and climb Angel’s Landing but today’s moment was to feel the grounding and not run high.   Today was spent in cleaning up, gathering myself for the next stretch of my trip.  Taking care of things is like closure to something and preparing for a new beginning.  I even had time to sit and do artwork, super satisfying. 

I can’t believe I did all this in two weeks and all the mileages I covered.  I can’t believe how refreshed I feel.  I can’t believe how wonderful and how light I feel.  I feel good, just like this warm breeze that blows through.  The leaves chimes musically with the aid of the wind. 

As the Watchman Ridges turn burnt orange into pink and firey red sunset, the moon rose against the tungsten twilight blue.  It was so beautiful to watch.  I feel so privileged to be alive to witness this amazingness. 

I have been covered in bug bites since I arrive here in Zion.  But today was the first day it all itched and swelled.  Delayed effect?  Extra potent time release thing?