Grand Canyons South Rim



Con't Day 2 National Park
 
 I rolled out of the Slide Rock State Park parking lot at 4:30pm and headed for Grand Canyon South Rim.  I stopped at the town of Cuillian, got gas and food at Safeway,  I bought a bag of salad with dressing and croutons.  This was what I wanted all day salad for $3.50.  I didn’t want to pay $10 in downtown Sedona for this salad.  People were all really nice and handled me with care and respect.  It feels like the norm here and not a scarce alien commodity.  Ya, this makes me feel safe.  I drove through Route 66 for a bit just to see what the big deal is.  No, I didn’t get it.  There was really nowhere to pull over and sleep between Williams and Grand Canyon.  It was full of forest land on both sides.  To the left was the railroad track from Williams into the Grand Canyon village.  I paid for the National Annual Pass for $80. for the year.   The senior lifetime pass is $10. a one time fee if you are 62 years and older.  Plus at all campsites, the senior pass allows for 50% discount for campsites.   
 I got to the campground at sunset and all the rangers were clocked out of the station.  There was a posting of which sights were reserved by who.  It was full and organized.  I was a day early on my reservation. .  The weather for today is H88 and L45,” I am going to be okay at this #94 site,” I hoped.   I hoped no one was at my campsite tonight so I can just set up camp tonight and leave it for tomorrow too.  It took over an hour  to set up tent with the rest of the sunlight.  I organized my car and luggage too.  I used my head lamp to finish up, speed and memory recall on setup was not a problem tonight.  I really can’t tell if anyone is in my camp site.  I am the only car on the designated car parking spot and there was plenty of tent spots on this sight left.
There was another tent set up, it was blown over and the luggage was exposed.  They had a dome tall tent and it was not staked down .  I felt the energy from the tent was exhaustion and male.  When my neighbor came back, I was in my tent laying and enjoying the cushion comfort of camping matt, much more luxurious and comfortable than my car seat or my small 3 pound backpack tent. 
My beautiful rest was interrupted with anger male voice from outside my tent, ”Did you knock over our tent!”  I quickly sounded back, ”Wait I’m coming  out.” I put on a jacket and my headlamp.  I told them it was already like that when I arrived.  I offered to help set it back up with my hammer.  I told them I paid for a few nights and I was told #94.  It was actually for Wednesday and Thursday, I was a day early and I let that out.  They were sweet honest men and said, “I guess, it’s hard to keep the site numbers straight,” and thanked me for helping them with their tent.  
Pat and Matt were from New York going cross country to Berkeley.  Pat is a 3rd year Ph.D. in Chemistry.  Pat was a gentle folk and kind in nature.   Matt just graduated from college and they are brothers.  They ran the plateau of the rim in the heat and sat in the shade of 109 degree heat of the valley on river level for a few hours to wait out the sun and heat but had to fend off the squirrels who knew how to work the zippers of packs in search for food.  They are Hollywood squirrels who got pink slipped and moved to Grand Canyons I’d say.  They both took their shoes off and was cooling off from the heat and walked barefooted in the cold night.  They are really fit to run the rim in the heat, beauty of youth.