HWY 12, Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument, Capital Reef National Park

Day 8 National Park 2010

Didn’t leave Bryce until after shower which ended up being 10:30am.  The drive through All American Scenic HWY 12 was scenically pretty.  But the mountain curves was exhausting all the way up into Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument.  It’s a good thing I’ve had years of training through HWY 17.  I went low gear through many hours of those miles.  I didn’t do anything longer than a stop at Escalante.




 On the rocks overlooking amazing views

 


I met three bikers who told me about Salt Flats in Utah.  They were really nice and had gone to Canada on their bikes. 

At Capitol Reef National Park, I just pulled over too and went to look at Petroglyphs.  I had lunch outside the campground underneath a big tree.  It was all very pretty in hot heat.  I ate dolmas and tomato, olives, hummus at 4pm.  It was a late lunch.  It had been a long and difficult scenic drive to get there.  I didn’t stop at Boulder to camp or the Burr Trail. I heard a 4 wheel drive or SUV would be better for those roads. 






Petroglyphs






I drove through the dessert over looking Goblin Valley State Park.  All very interesting, the sky with dramatic clouds were amazing. 





I drove to Green River and it stank so bad that I totally wrote off the idea of camping there.  Yup the map don’t tell you such things like, it stinks at this campground or this park. 

So I decided to drive straight to Arches.  I made it to the entrance gate at 7:30pm.  Everything was closed.  I kept on driving past vista points looking for campgrounds.  It was far in Devils Garden.  It took another ¼ tank of gas to climb.  I should have gotten gas but I didn’t know. 

I asked a family by the Ranger Host RV to let me camp with them but they declined me.  I moved a few slots over to another family with two sons one is special needs and the one with special needs named Brandon in 7th grade said yes because he likes helping people and that was how I found a place to camp for the night.  His brother’s name is Sean and he is 8 years old.  Dad has traveled the world and is in the insurance business and is into photography.  They are not using their campsite since they are all camping out of their RV camper and is parked in the parking spot.

I set up camp avoiding ant hill holes.  It is beautiful here and the sky is amazing in day and night.  This lovely family invited me to their camp fire.  This was my first camp fire for the trip.  It was lovely.  The weather tonight was in the 50’s.  I am so glad it is warm here. 

There is no shower here.  The restroom is solar powered and the water does not taste good.