Power Rangers Nurses Singing Disney Elton John Tunes

Day 13 National Parks 2010
So glad I had my rain fly on last night, it was a wise choice.  The wind came through and it got super windy and chilly at night.  I didn’t get going in the morning until 7 am.  I had instant noodles for breakfast.  I didn’t get to the visitor’s center until 11am.  I met 3 nurses from San Diego.  I seem to either run into people in the Educational field or Medical field.  They were young professionals new in their career who loved to sing Disney Elton John songs.  They each picked a Power Ranger Color and hiked as that particular power ranger.  They invited me to join them on the Narrows Slot Canyon river hike.  I don’t watch Power Rangers and I called out a color that wasn’t one of the existing Rangers. 


Although it seemed like too late to start a hike, it was perfect to do the Narrows because it would have been too cold to do it any earlier.  Now the sun is bright and on the water warming it.  Up until now, the water had been in the shadows and cold.  The water is still cold because it is snow melt water.  It’s going to be cold until possibly August.  The water was so cold I could not feel my toes.  I see why people spent the $20 to rent a pair of warm water boots to stay warm so they can feel their toes.  This is a health hazard.  In fact people where hiking in their wet suit.  I needed one of those too.  The excitement of navigating the slot canyon Narrows distracted me from any possibility of hypothermia and frost bite. 

It was super awesome, what a gift to be able to do this with others to follow in these nurses’ lead in the river, as to where to step and how to grip the canyon walls in rushing currents up the chest.  I used my $100 titanium hiking poles for this trek.  I didn’t know if it is also for water or the water will rust them.  I just know I needed poles to stabilize my trek in this river of rushing currents.  It was really hard to move or balance when I couldn’t feel my legs from the cold water.  I was hiking upstream in swift rapids.  At least there is no wind today that would make it colder.

Did I bring a water bag? Nope!  I need to add that to my list of to brings. So I double ziplocked my camera and hoped it will stay dry that way.  It worked.  I also kept the camera where my head was to keep it from swimming in the water.  I did fall into the river from a slip off a rock, fortunately I did not go into a full body dunk.  I call that falling in the river karma paid, done.  Thanks for letting me keep my camera dry. 
 

I broke off from the Power Ranger Elton John singing nurses from San Diego at the section called Wall Street where the river “Y” with Orderville Canyons.  This section of the slot canyon had tighter Narrows and lower water level.  At this section where I broke off with the group, the river was very dangerous and difficult to navigate. The water currents came up to my chest.  I had to hang onto the mountain wall for safety.  It was during this time I smashed my wrist watch.  I just felt so wonderful hiking in the water and my eyes were in awe with the colors of the slot canyons with the afternoon sun on the red canyons.  This all felt so peaceful, wonderful, physically strenuous but mentally refreshing.  The afternoon of soaking in snow melt water really took down the inflammation I had been experiencing in the body, it’s really a good thing.
 
 

I turned around in my river adventure around 3:15pm and made my way back out.  At about 4pm my knees were exhausted.  My pace slowed big time.  I am glad I turned around when I did.  I was at the river trail head at 5pm.  It was warm during that time, the sun shone through and there was a warm breeze.  Just felt really good inside my head.   
 
 


The Keens water shoes held up today pretty cool.  Do did my very expensive Black Diamond hiking poles.  This is a pair of thermo water boots you can rent in town for $10.  I didn't know about that or the cold of the water.  It think it is worth the money to get a pair to keep the body warm and keep the ankle from getting injured in the river. 

It is clear after today, I will not backpack through the Narrows.  It's hard enough to navigate in the river and to add the weight and shift of wet backpack then sleeping in wet tent and wet sleeping bag, not a good idea.  It written on the guide books that there are water snakes here.  I am glad I did not see one.  It would really freak me out. 

On my way back to camp I inquired into the Watchman Campground of which I have reservations for.  I wanted to cancel this so I can stay at the South Campsite I am currently in.  I was told there would be a cancellation fee and then an additional night of stay at South Campground for $16 more.  So I guess I will be packing up tomorrow and driving to Watchman campground. 

Lisa, one of the nurses I met today told me I should go to San Diego next and hang out at the beaches.  Sounds like a good idea.  Kelly the other nurse told me to drive up the coast on the way home.  I am sure it is scenic, but what an exhausting drive that will be.  Sounds like my next destinations have all been laid out for me.  The nurses’ next stop is Vegas and they spoke of it as the highlight of their trip.  I see Las Vegas as a place to stop to pee and eat. 

For dinner tonight I had stuffed Bulgarian cabbage with giant Spanish beans and avocado.  It was all very delicious.  I watched the sun set over the backdrop of the mountain ridges.  The mountain was first orange then fire red, very beautiful and peaceful experience. 

In Zion it is clear, you are in Utah.  All the mountain are named after religious terms.  I saw a group of Amish tourists.  Their energy looked liked the mountain prairies of 60 years ago, it was all very interesting to observe.