Arches National Park

Day 9 National Parks 2010

I woke up early to pee.  I wanted to rest some more but it was a race to sunrise watch and people bustling.  I was still too slow.  Lots of excited kids were already up climbing the mountains and enjoying the morning echo of their own vibrant youthful voice.  It was wonderful to hear their excitement for nature and to hear themselves in nature, yet it was difficult in the same time because it was so loud and so early in the morning. 

 

I was distressed over campsite availabilities for the week and I walked around and chatted with neighbors and I was referred to the campground hosts.  They told me to be at their RV at 7:45 am and bring a chair to sit and wait.  Jim was very helpful and sweet.  Jane the wife runs everything.  It turns out Jane was very upset about how I stayed at another family’s campsite last night and imposed on others.  She implied I was free loading off another family.  She pretty much blasted me with her chi and dumped me a very heavy load.  Who is she to judge and punish?  That is not how it is.  I was very glad I had already ate, that experience would have made me sick too sick to eat.  It probably would have given me the runs too. 

 I decided to let go of the fear of not getting campsite for this week here.  Whatever the camp hostess thought of me is fine too, she can think whatever she pleases.  I decided to respond instead of react or pre-anticipate react.  So I pulled myself out of the dark abyss hole of shame, isolation, and punishment.  Why am I shamed again?  I pulled my head up and greeted fellow travelers and struck up conversations and had more photos of me taken.  I fell or was smacked off the track of a wonderfully blessed vacation, healing journey for a bit and then found my way back on it. 
 




 

The Delicate Arch trail was strenuous but fun and adventurous.  At Delicate Arch, I met Bryan, Karen and their God daughter Allie.  They were sweet wonderful people who shared a lot of traveling info with me.  They were bright eyed people.  I’ve met many bright eyed people on this trip so far.  It’s quite a blessing.  I am glad I was able to truly enjoy my day despite a rough and toxic start. 

I truly am sorry to have troubled and bothered or afflicted anyone.  This is not the way I choose to live.  I better slow down and walk carefully.  Well, so many things I am not aware of, so many things I must learn.








I am drinking 3-4 liters of water today.  To backpack I’d have to haul 2-3 times more water.  Plus all these hikes of 3-5 miles stretch are beautiful and reachable without backpacking, it’s good enough.   Here, they also do not recommend backpacking.  There is no water access anywhere in this desert. 

This was left by the previous occupant of this site, what a lovely welcome greeting
I did get assigned a campsite, number 10 which faces the horizon and the sunrise and so I did relocate my tent.  This camp site is much better for me as my site sits on a hill overlooking the horizon where the sun sets.  I think more time and space to me is good.  The Perrys were kind but maybe I was not what they want to invite except it was their boys that really called me in and were fond of my company, that made the parents happy. 

I had to do the usual, sip High Mountain Tea and watch the sunset into twilight.  I also watch a Taiwanese couple drive by and was turned away for a campsite by the camp host due to no availability but was flagged down by another campsite off the road inviting them to join them.  How do you explain that to the camp host?  Different affinities, different karma, different life lessons I guess. 
 


What to do?  Here in nature, sleeping, eating, are all very normal and breathing is wonderful.  Here in Arches I feel effortless in my head.  I feel settled.  I feel strong, stable, and expansive in my head, fluid and flexible.  I feel the monastery within.  Now, how do I sustain this back home?

I feel like I am in the ocean and I can hear myself.  It is okay to breathe and have my heart beat.  My body is relaxed.