Guitar and Piano Lessons off Youtube

Thanks to YouTube and all the people who post how to play piano and guitar for stupid people who can't read music and play, I am actually getting over the hurdles of fear on learning to play the piano and guitar. I always get stuck on reading the music. Even when I sang for years in the choir, I couldn't read music. I tried. Somethings don't click inside. Must have short circuit somewhere within.

I do love music though. Since I am no longer in environments where I am around musicians, I'm stuck learning to play so I can listen to music. This has always been the case, I never had to learn to play any instrument because there was someone around me who played the piano, guitar and I would hear it every day. What a daily gift that was.

Maybe in a few months I will have learned to play "River Flows in You" by memorizing the piece visually, very exciting. I even have enough keys on my dinky little hundred dollar electronic keyboard for this piece. Last year I tried to pick up a piece of music to play off an anime theme song, I got to the second page of the song sheet and realized I don't have the keys on my keyboard. So I had to quite the piece. Now when I look at music to learn, I first check out whether or not I have enough keys on my keyboard. I should have bought one with more keys but for each set extra was an extra hundred dollars. I have 5 sets of keys. For a complete 7 sets of keys of basic beginner quality sound, it goes beyond three hundred dollar and doesn't fit into my car, couldn't of carried it home even if I did have that kind of money to spend. The ones that sounded really good were in the seven to eight hundred dollar range. Hey for that price, couldn't one afford a cheap used upright?

Now for the guitar, I will need to figure out how to tune it properly first. I do have music in mind I'd like to learn, mostly from Dashboard Confessionals and Dave Mathews Band. Way too advance for me, but I do like the music and that will keep me motivated to keep trying. I realized I have stopped and restarted and never finish what I started because I wasn't into the music and any hang ups I had that stalled me or stopped me put me at a dead end with the instrument and giving up. It's okay, I'll start slow. One piece of music a year to learn is a good speed for me.