Jiuzhaigo During Late Fall Early Winter





I got up really early to dash for the park. Du flagged down a cab who took us to the bus station to check out the time and cost for Huang Long. Fearing the cab driver would take off without us he instructed me to stay in the car while he gets the information. He returned with two tickets to Huang Long the next day for both of us, a decision he made independently on his own. Maybe that was why he had me sit in the cab?

We and the rest of the entire tourist population were not informed of the change to park hours to 8am and not 7am. We all stood outside and waited for an hour in the cold. There was frost and ice. I was in layers like Everest Base Camp. We skipped breakfast thinking there would be street stands available but we were disappointed. I munched on almonds and roasted chestnut. There was a lot of tourist in the park even on the low season so I can’t imagine what they mean by high season traffic. I can’t imaging this park having more people in it, it would block the view I think with all the people in it.

This park is full of lakes, creeks, waterfalls, mineralized pools. The water in the lakes and pools are aquamarine. The pools are like Hawaiian beach and ocean water. It was beautiful, everywhere. The mountains are now heading for winter, most of the fall colors have fallen. We came across Swen from Hunnan. She ran the whole trail on her slipped disc back. I stuck with my pace and all three of us still caught up with each other during the last trail. I found out that Du is a cancer, and born on the year of the ox. Swen is a libra.

I really enjoyed a relaxing day of walking and photographing. There are lots of places that are very cute and beautiful. I am glad my mom encouraged me to come to this park when I am in this province. The door fee was a lot of money but it was beautiful and worth it. Even after the 12 hour ride, Du who elected to not bring his camera that he left with his luggage in Chengdu made a promise to himself that he would return to photograph the place.