Strategy For Those Stuck With a Standing Train Ticket on a China Train

I took the bus to ChangSha. I got the back row right end window seat again and sat right above the exhaust pipe where it was hot and loud and more motion. The bus was more expensive because it was new and a new quality system of service. The driver was really nice and ethical. The bus had trash cans on the isle so people can have a place to dump trash. Bottled water was passed out complimentary. All our luggage was tagged so no one can take other people's bag by mistake or on purpose.


The bus driver was very nice, before he opened the door to let us out he instructed us on how to survive the sharks and thieves that will be swarming the parking lot. I was glad of his instructions but all in the same time I was afraid after his instruction. Was ignorance bliss? Well, until ignorance gets you into trouble I guess.

When I got to the ChangSha long distance bus station I had to take a local bus to the train station. There are lots of trains going to Guilin like one an hour all coming from different places. So there were no seats, beds, only standing ticket for all the times. So there was no use getting on a later train.

I along with 250 other people, not exaggerating, all got standing tickets. We where all cued up at the ticketing gate to embark on to the boarding dock. I asked a lady behind me how a standing ticket worked since I have never done this before and was in need of a strategy because there were 200 other people like me without a seat on heading onto the same train at the same time. She said, first come first serve, sit to it and stick to it and that was all there was to it to a standing ticket.

It was a mad dash for the masses to the cart door. Fortunately there were station workers at each door to do a bit of traffic control. I really haven't seen something like this since Italy. Since, I've had experience in Italy I knew what to do. Get to the front somehow and then squeeze and cut in like everyone else all at once. Since I had a pack on front and back and on my body, I had full body maneuvering control. This is why backpacks are good for train and bus travel. It was quite a site. Since I had so much on me, no one could squeeze me out because I took up the space of the door. Although it would have been very easy to knock me over since I was so loaded with backpacks but no one dared.

I finally made it on to the train cart and then it was the quick dash for any available seat. I saw when I entered that there were no open seats. As I rushed down the isle, I saw a seat taken by a luggage and asked to sit there and have the luggage moved up to the luggage compartment. The people reluctantly did it. With all the people getting on, there was no way they were going be able to take up any other seat, other than the one their butts were on so why not let it be me.

Glad I was approved. I got to sit down. I passed out candy and fruit. People warmed up to me and really took cared of me throughout the whole train ride and I became a part of their family, watched out for each other’s things and seats when we got up to stretch or use the toilet and that was nice. I was glad to have a seat, can't imagine myself having to stand the whole 9 hours to Guilin.

People were nice and offered to carry my bag for me out the station but really, it was unnecessary. Upon exiting the station, I rushed through all the hotel, cab sharks. These people were not so aggressive. They all commented how quick I can move with all my stuff at 1am in the morning. I walked quickly to the hostel which was 3 minute walk across from the train station, very convenient. I checked into the hostel, did my laundry, while I waited for my laundry I wanted to call US since I had time to kill and it was the right match in terms of time zone difference but there was no phone booth in the hostel, only for dialing phone card. In truth it was too late to be standing out in the street middle of the night at a phone booth in my night gown to make calls. So I decided to call it a night at 2:23am in the morning.