Vegetarian Means Islamic?

I got up at 9:35am this morning and missed the boat cruises for the day. So I paid for a Li Jiang River Cruise for tomorrow that ends up in Yang Sho and because of the low water elevation this time of the year, the boat started lower in the river and traveled slow. My laundry also did not dry so I had to wait another day anyways.

I spent the day walking the streets checking out everything. I hung out with the workers at the youth hostel and attempted to shoot pool with them and watch Korean dramas in the TV room. Whenever I asked for vegetarian food, people here assumed I am Islamic. Very interesting, not Buddhist as assumed since being Asia people will just assume it is so. Or like back in California, vegetarian translates into “healthy”, people will often say, “oh, into healthy foods huh”. But here, Islamic, somehow, I’m not sure why this is the case. Maybe it is the only other group that has a dietary preference.

I met a young man named Tomishi from Tokyo who is in the field of animation. He enjoys his work and is taking two years off from the work force for his two year world travel tour. He is heading off to Vietnam and Thailand via border of China.

People here tell me the rice noodles here are world famous. I had them and came to the conclusion that Vietnamese rice noodles of the same type is done better in Vietnam. But I didn’t share this with anybody.. In fact the best ones are made by Yong at Berkeley Buddhist Monastery. Can’t even buy it, just gotta be there when she makes an offering of serving them.