I Miss Roundtable Discussions an Berkeley Buddhist Monastery


Day 9

Chocolate chip cookies was on the lunch menu.  Most of the lunch was done by breakfast.  Everyone was very hands on.  There was football, yoga, and walking meditation all happening at 10am time slot.  We also had our group photos taken at 10am. 

After lunch organizers got together to discuss the issue of money, that we are short of $1,000. this year to cover expenses.   Billy upon hearing this asked, “There is a cost to being here?”  We told him in the context of paying it forward gift economy.  Previous attendees have made contributions to make it possible to make this year’s retreat happen.  Yet we are $1,000. short in running this year’s retreat. 












Today was dunes and beach day.  After lunch the day trip group left and the rest of us were either up in the Chan Hall meditating or down in the Can.  Rev. Heng Sure stood at the picnic table and we all sat around.  It turned out to be an excellent unscheduled roundtable while he waited for his laundry to dry in the dryer.  This discussion really got everyone thinking, what a valuable experience.  This reminded me how much I miss roundtable at Berkeley Buddhist Monastery. 

At 4pm James made me a pancake with chocolate chips and walnuts.  I put on my ear plugs and listened to music to stay focused to think while I worked in the kitchen. 


Fab’s music was uplifting and I found it very healing and rejuvenating in the late afternoon.  Thanks Fab for the healing. 



Heather came by after the evening lecture and said Jin Rou Shr asked her to cook on Thursday.  I told her she can use anything.  She looked and said there wasn’t much she can cook with and added, “Oh you don’t have garlic or onions to cook with.  I don’t really know how to cook without onions.”  Why didn’t she communicate this directly to the nun when she agreed to cook?  Strange how people go round and round in their communication. 

Shower line was long.  I waited for Connie and Michael to finish with shower to walk up at 11:40pm.  Silver walked us up too.  Towards the top his hips went into pain and he hopped and limped.  I felt bad for him.