The Kitchen Can Be a Complicated Place

Day 7

The Chan Hall was full on the women’s side.  It was a beautiful sight and the sound of ceremony resonating out into nature of early dawn felt homey.  Silver was outside and walked me down to the Can.  He marked his pee all over the trail.  I watched his hips move in pain but his tail swung side to side happily.  Side to side motion is where his strength is now.  His ears flapped up and curled down the front part way, signs of happiness of a dog.  I have a feeling this might be his last year as Silver of Buddha Root Farm the beloved dog.  With this thought, my eyes burned with hot tears as we walked together. 

Myra and James both made pancakes, they are professional pancake makers I’d say and they were happy serving the pancakes. 



This morning’s lecture, Rev. Heng Sure shared the story of Shr Fu’s disciple back in China by the name of Dharma Master Heng Zhuo.  When the government’s military came, he set himself on fire.  How his physical form retained even after the flames were gone.  The official came to check the phenomenon out.  As soon as he touched the form, it all fell into ashes.  Shr Fu said he had already left his body before it was on fire.  That’s freedom and control in my opinion.  Our modern culture is obsessed with freedom and control hoping the answer to happiness lies there.  This kind of freedom and self control looks pretty good to me. 



Lunch was at 11:45am, super late.  I hope to do better tomorrow.  I felt like I didn’t quit the have the kitchen down in terms of organization for delegating work that is appropriate to the volunteer skill set.  Not everyone knows how to watch vegetables or cut them.  And those who do, may not have the speed be able to quickly produce food for the 97 of us in 90 minutes.  People sincerely helped in the kitchen.  I have to adjust to where everyone is within their conditions. 






Kitchen is such a social area too.  Food is a social activity.  It is a healing medicine.  Food and kitchen where the fire, hearth is, is a gathering that bonds relationships and communities.  In the same time it is where the knife is and things can go either way.  Kitchen can often be a battle zone for families and a community. 

Some people come to the kitchen for solidarity, unity, relationship, validation, acknowledgement, and some just come to work to get things done quietly.  It’s different every year.  It’s different everyday and every meal.  I just have to work around it all and I first have to pay attention to these elements so meals can be served on time so that the retreat can move forward smoothly.   

The lectures were awesome.  The enthusiasm to lecture was wonderful.  I find it amazing that 7 nuns and 3 monks are here with all of us to support this retreat. 

The good chi was felt in my upper chakras.  I felt more in tuned to everything and adjusted the menu for the rest of the retreat. 

We have a handful of ten to eleven year old kids this year and they really look forward to the puppet story time.  I am amazed the kids actually paid attention, listened in on the lecture and asked questions. 

I jumped on the truck to head down to the Can after lecture.  I wanted to organize things so I can delegate work.  I am hoping there will be more efficiency and I wanted to make sure everything is put away for the night to avoid encouraging four legged friends to visit at night. 

At 10pm I began mixing waffle batter, good thing I had an electric mixer to work with.  I began making waffles at 10:30pm.  It took me 45 minutes to make 80 pieces of waffles from 20 cakes.  I feel really rejuvenated when I get to work quietly on my own.  I feel the rhythm and the zone, it’s like a meditation, there is silence within in.  I feel great, not tired or this and that. 

Marion Kwan saw me make waffles late at night and really wanted to help.  But there really wasn’t much for anyone else to do.  We just have one waffle iron, it just takes one person.  But she wanted to show her support and went around the dinning hall filling up napkins etc…  I was moved by her good intentions.  It really warmed my heart and physically opened up my chest.  What a healing!

I showered at 11:15pm, shut the place down, walked out of the Can and saw Silver walk out to the road, looked towards Matt’s trailer and then he turned around and walked me up to the Buddha Hall.  He’d sit and lay as he waited for me to catch up on the hill.  I’d stop and wait for him as he hung out and sniffed this or that and pee on the trial.  It was interesting actually as we took turns to wait for each other.  It was a silent understanding, a supportive respectful relationship between us.  No hug, no pets, not even treats from me, and at his old age definitely no game in playing catch.  Silver was happy to lead like a dog and show me the way.  I didn’t want him to have to climb this hill in his condition but he did.  We parted at the meadow in front of the Chan Hall.


I came back to camp drenched from my slow hike.  I was tired and awake at the same time.  It was a chilly night but I was warm in my tent that is insulated in protection by nature.  Laying in my tent I felt grateful to be of service and stepping up to this calling.  Yet in the same time I felt an internal need to find time and space for more solitude and deepen my own practice.