Just Couldn't Stop Crying

Day 12

I woke up at 7am and noticed everyone was gone.  Only Valerie and Fab was still around packing up.  I asked James to help carry my stuff to the Chan Hall so I didn’t have to make many trips.  I sat on the steps waiting for a ride down.  Valerie Tseng inquired why I was sitting all alone while everyone was down in the Can.  She gave me a ride down with all my stuff. 

As I loaded my car I chatted with Jia Hwei from Taipei branch now a nun.  I don’t know her ordained name.  She asked about my mom.  Then I recalled how she was stationed in Gold Sage Monastery of San Jose as part of her novice training.  It took me a good hour to pack my car in a away that I can drive it and see too.  I was so hungry when I was done I dipped 3 slices of white bread into the tum yum coconut soup.  I then noticed, the nuns forgot their breakfast and dessert portion for their van.  That van is going to be hungry on one meal a day. 

Silver looked exhausted laying on the gravel in front of the Can.  I was able to roll off at 10am.  I made a wrong turn before getting on highway 101 and u-turned right away.  At Roseburg I pulled over and got gas, cleaned my windshield and used the restroom at Wendy’s.  It was a very warm sunny day.

I turned onto i138 East to Crater Lake National Park.  I listened to music on my itouch.  It was a pretty hot day.  I was tired from the week and from the heat.  At Diamond Lake, Umpqua National Forest, I pulled to the right shoulder to look at the map and put the car in park mode.  I smelled fumes and tried to drive it and then I smelled smoke.  I shut off the engine to pop the hood.  It was smoking.  The transmission was leaking a puddle on the highway.   

My body went into shock mode.   Why should I be freaking out?  I’ve got AAA.  But I couldn’t stop this body’s reaction of crisis.  My body was shaking uncontrollably. 

A Christian family pulled over, three cars, two dogs, and their boat to help me.  They helped me push my car off the highway to the shoulder.  I had no cell phone reception.  They gave me a phone to call AAA.  They were so nice, checking the car fluids and transmission for me in the middle of this heat, taking time out from their family reunion break to attend to me.  The father was going to give me his phone and have me mail it back to him when I return home.  I did not accept.  I knew as soon as I am out of the mountains via AAA pickup I will have reception.

I tried not to cry but I found myself crying and talking the same time.  It was strange to me.  What was so scary?  Why was I so scared?

As I sat in the car and waited for AAA, I wondered if I should camp out at Diamond Lake until Monday when mechanics are open for business.  People don’t work on Saturdays in Oregon.  Gas stations also close for the night.  But I saw that I needed to be at the auto shop first thing on Monday so I still needed to be towed this weekend. 

A park security came via the Christian family to come and support me.  His cell phone had reception so I used his phone to call AAA again to see what the holdup was.  He asked if I needed anything.  I told him I just needed to cry and I sat and cried in my car and he sat in his car with a/c and watched me cry.  I don’t know why I was crying but I knew I couldn’t stop the tears from rolling.  

I sat in the car and tried to recite but my head was scattered.  I kept nodding off.  Then I cried some more.  I decided to eat some food even though I didn’t have much appetite.  I knew with all this trauma or at least how I am experiencing it as trauma that I needed some food in my body. 

Two hours had passed and the tow truck was nowhere in sight, just 30 miles out and still no tow truck.  I used the security’s phone to call and it turns out the tow truck was inside Diamond Lake Resort campground via other entrance and I was at the i138 entrance on the highway.

Bruce my tow truck guy finally came, it was so late in the afternoon already.  He said the nearest choice is Coosbay 80 miles, Klammath 100 miles, Medford 100 miles.  That there is no real mechanic shop in Schmoldt where his boss’s tow shop is and that is also the so called mechanic shop AAA had told me was the closest.  He would take me there if I wanted to but that he himself won’t get his car fixed there.  His boss is a gambler and he gets 25% of what his boss makes on each tow. 

I had doubts on whether or not Bruce is running me around for money.  I felt a clear answer in me to trust these options Bruce has laid out for me and that I shouldn’t worry anymore, or stress or feel troubled.   

 I decided I would complete my travel and go to Crater Lake via tow truck and from there nearest mechanic is Medford.  This was how the decision was made on which shop to go.  The ways on how I go about making decisions, seems random and odd but somehow works out to be the best in the end.  Yes and this meant 100 miles for $348.

Bruce gave me a tour of Crater Lake National Park and told me stories and history.  It was a fun ride.  Not a bad way to have to spend tow truck money on.  Crater Lake water is beautiful.  I passed by the campground I would have camped in and had to pass it up.  The exit south of Crater Lake, the entire highway was full of campgrounds. All were beautiful. I could camp in anyone and be happy.  But I had to pass it all up as I passed by it on this tow truck.  I so wanted to be there, any one of those campgrounds would have been fine. 

Bruce told me he was single but has been living with his girlfriend for 12 years.  I reminded him that they are legally married.  He said she has a thyroid problem and gained a lot of weight that she is at 230 pounds with swollen legs.  That his mom died of liver cirrhosis and how his father died 6 months later of lung stuff from his early days of working in the coal mine.           

We arrived in Medford way past dinner time and in this summer sun the sky was still in twilight.  Medford is a big city for Oregon.  We pulled over to an auto parts shop like a Kragen in Oregon.  Bruce looked at my car and wanted to see if it was just something loose he can tighten for me or just replace a simple clamp or tube.

In the parking lot we saw two Hispanic male mechanics and spoke to them in my broken Spanish, “Pardoname, auydame por favor.”   They looked into my car and saw the leak was from the gasket and something about something from the middle of the car.  It all sounded and seemed sketchy.  They recommended that I go to a dealer how they don’t have the equipment to fix this quickly on their own out of their house.  They said they’d have to take the entire car apart.  This part sounded scary to me and that they don’t really know what’s wrong with my car.  They said they have Sunday as their soccer watch day and it’s church day and family day too etc.. basically they don’t have the tools or the time or the interest.  I asked about where to sleep for the night and one of them asked the other if he could take me in all in Spanish.  It’s old school hospitality and kindness that isn’t common practice these days in America.  I did not find this to be a good idea.  It would not be street smart on my end.  All my travel alarms of safety rang loud all at once even though I did not find either men to be shady.   

Bruce took me to a nearby motel close to the mechanic shop certified by AAA.  Bruce says this shop is great and being certified they uphold a standard of quality and the rate is also standard.  My dinky run down old  scary looking Motel is run by an Indian family.  I wouldn’t have agreed to stay if not for the Indian owners whose family also lives there.  It was $35. a night.  The man Harry gave me 2 nights for $77. Including tax.  Is there tax in Oregon?  I thought not.
  
Bruce recommended I take all that I need for the next two days and what I can carry back via foot since my car will be at the mechanics and my only mode of transportation is my feet.  My other choice was Ramada, Quality Inn etc…  They were all at $80 plus per night.  Plus they were all off the highway and this shop is in the residential, too far apart.  When all was done, my car safely unloaded onto the mechanic’s lot, it was already 9pm.  Bruce wanted to take me to dinner.  I passed.  It’s so late, it’s been a long day and I have no appetite.  The idea of it just felt strange.  

I went to the room and clearly understood why I needed more camp food and supplies and how that did not make sense to me when I was packing for the trip back in May.   It’s what I would need this weekend, in this motel, waiting for the shop to open.  It’s a good thing I had breakfast at least.  I was so hot I decided to just lay on the bed with lights on.  I was too tired to cry, finally.

It was hot today and at night the temperature was 92 degrees.  The place fortunately had A/C.