Kentucky Falls is Special

Day 10

I was super tired and did not get up until 6:05am.  The alarm was set at 4:11am but I didn’t’ hear it at all. 

What is it about the kitchen or dinning area that seems to draw people to do lots of venting.  I find it offensive to spoil the food with such garbage, toxins, and poison!    




After lunch I got onto the Kentucky Falls truck.  I was on Henry’s truck.  I sat next to Darius and Henry.  Somehow we missed the right turn after the last bridge and went left towards the highway.  We didn’t know this until we were 15 miles into it.  The GPS did not work for Kentucky Falls. 


When we made it back to the crossing, a red truck sat and parked on the island of the crossing.  Two men sat in the front and one in the back. The man in the back pointed the right to show us the way.  What are the chances of that? 

On the trail I chose to be a sweeper and walked behind.  I had thought I could skip Kentucky Falls this year because I have seen so many beautiful trails this summer already.  As I hiked I realized Kentucky Falls has a special place in my heart.  The trail is just so beautiful.   There is history here of the early days of this retreat when it first begun. This trail is trail #1376 on Siuslaw National Forest.


It’s lovely to see the monastics join us for this hike.








I recalled when Silver was able to join us and jumped in at every sight of water he crossed and that’s a lot water.  I recalled when Silver learned how to ride on Henry’s truck to lean on the turns to not slide across the back of the truck or fly off the road.  I remember when Henry would chant Great Compassion Mantra on the trail and read Dharani Sutra while waiting for us to catch up.  The simple peace of anther time was felt in this modern busy day.