Carrying Rice Cracker Through All These States Was All Worth It

Day 45 National Park 2011


I woke up at 7:30am and went to pee at the Paradise Inn.  It was a happening place full of people getting breakfast, hanging out at the fire place.  I still felt dizzy walking around.  I followed a ranger to the climber office that opened at 6am.  He recommended I hike and backpack in the snow if I had gear.  I waited in my car and closed my eyes for a bit waiting for Visitor Center to open at 10am.  At 9:30am the sun was out and everyone was taking pictures of the Glacier Peak in front of me.  I saw lots of climbers leaving at the trail head and lots of climbers also returning.  It’s a perfect day to be hiking in the snow.  But I was in dire need of rest and sleep.  My head was still spinning.  I just don’t think it’s safe for me to be walking or driving in this condition or hiking in the snow. 



At 11am I drive to Cougar Campground and noticed this new system for paying.  It is like a parking meter, credit card style.  I had to read and follow instructions.  There are six loops here and you have to drive through each loop checking each tag per site to look at dates of reservations etc…  This whole process took me an hour.  I finally finished pitching tent at 1:30pm.  I ate even though I wasn’t feeling hungry.  I think I was too exhausted to feel hunger.   




While I ate I saw a group of teenagers with gloves picking up random trash on the campground.  They looked bored and unhappy without playfulness or humor of youngsters.  I guess this activity isn’t on their top to do list for the summer.  I saw rice crackers would go to them and so I chased them down to surprise them.  The boy’s face lit up like a Christmas tree and life was back in his youthful body.  I told him he had to share.  He has never seen or had rice crackers before.  I guess I lugged that thing for him.  Just to cheer him up and reward him for doing good, in service and protection of nature.  It was all worth it.  My fatigued body and mind felt a warmth, a glow in my chest, my tongue tasted sweetness and my eyes felt peaceful and joyful.  That was so much fun.  

I crawled into my sleeping bag and a mosquito somehow made it in with me.  It buzzed all over.  I slept for three and half hours.  I got up at 5:30pm and I didn’t feel dizzy anymore.  At 7pm I convinced myself to eat a sandwich, I didn’t feel hungry but I needed to eat. 

The wash room here is dirty.  The restroom had electrical plug that was high up.  There is no hand dryer or soap.  There is cloth hook behind the stall door.  The right sink clogs.  The restroom is cleaned at about 11am.

Is it too late to drink tea at 9:30pm?  This cold weather required layers to stay warm including snow boots, so naturally a cup of High Mountain tea was a necessity to complete this perfection.  The sky was clear tonight, I had hoped to see stars tonight.  I missed them.  I sat and drank tea in the car to stay warm and out of attacks of mosquitoes.  I’ve got bites all over my face.  I felt tension in my body and I decided to meditate tonight.