She Could Have Been Cindy Brady

Day 48 National Park 2011


The light house sounded all night in the fog.  I felt fully rested by 4am and got out of the car and stretched.  I sat on a pillow and covered my legs with a blanket to stay warm.   I was moved by the sunrise in the midst of fog.  I watched the sky dance in colors from 4am to 6am.  At 6am the ocean glistened and reflected the sky in jeweled colors.  And it was then I realized, sleeping in the car was all about this sunrise.  This was a perfect place to rest for the night. 

I decided to drive around and I found a beach access with public restroom.  Then I proceed to Port Orford and saw Battle Rock and I knew where I was and that I needed to get gas before I ran out.  There wasn’t much south of here for gas.  I asked the service guy where the next campground was and he said Humbug State Park that is 6 miles south.  I actually drove all the way out to Gold Beach because I still wanted to be on the beach.  Plus it was too early to set up camp in Humbug Campground because people were all still asleep.  When I circled the campgrounds, I felt the calm of the place and knew I could rest there.  I saw Gold Beach, it isn’t gold and I didn’t find the beach.  Most importantly I didn’t like the energy of the place.  At this point I was pretty close to the boarder of California.  I turned around and drove back to Humbug.

At Humbug State Park Campground I drove around the loops three times.  It was fully packed.  There was just one empty site from last night #8 and it was still empty.  Everything felt not prefect about each site and this particular one, too small, that too tight etc…  But I felt it was about the neighbors and people I will come across that was of importance so I went for it and parked it. 

I met a little blond curly hair blue eyes girl who could have been Cindy Brady.  Her name was Amy, she was super cute and sweet.  She gave me the low down on the trail by the river, terrain by terrain and she is like 8 years old.  And that I am to call her name across the campground if I have any further questions.  She was on a pink bike.  But it wasn’t her beautiful clear sky blue eyes or her perfect blond golden locks or her flashy pink bike that drew the attention, it was her sincerity, genius, being at the moment, not needing any attention or have the need to impress others in her interaction and communication that was priceless, beautiful, pure and perfect.  I felt honored to be in the presence of this amazing soul in this tiny child body. 

I paid for my site and check out the facilities.  I did love how new it was and how clean and beautiful the place is.  I decided I would take two showers because I can.  There is no time limit and it’s included in the camping fee.  I so needed a shower.  I was happy about the sun on my site so my tent can dry and air out. 


My neighbor was from Oregon, a family of siblings without parents, young adults with their dogs and significant others.  They had a canopy with bug net and two gas grills, fire pit grill, along with a propane fryer. It seems like there is going to be some serious cooking.  I looked at the low propane stand and wondered if I will get one of those.  They all coughed and smoked nonstop.  A tight close family who reminisced about their father with love and there was no mention of the mother. 

I tried the soy chorizo from Grocery Outlet, I was not impressed.  But it was some form of vegan food and I ate it anyways.  I needed a nap but I decided to would drive 6 miles to Port Orford Battle Rock Beach and catch the low tide to see the star fish etc..  I parked and saw the tide was still not low enough for star fish petting.  I went into the visitor center and asked how to read the low tide chart and the staff said it is currently low tide and there are three hours before and after range to work with.  However the low tide today said two plus feet above zero so it is the lowest tide for the day but because it is above zero it isn’t low tide was thinking of, the kind that reveals star fishes and others.  The next segments of bellow zero low tide is mid to late this week for a few days.  I was informed of the ten resident whales sitting out by the rocks, they are the dark shadows in the ocean.  Because the sun is out it is hard to see them in the ocean that is a reflecting mirror under the bright sun.  With the wind, waves, and reflecting light, that early mornings are better for whale sighting, like around sunrise time. 



I drove back to camp and took a three hour nap.  I was so tired and sleepy that I slept with the rainfly open on both ends for circulation of heat and air.  When I woke up I ate berries and cherries and salad with olives and artichoke hearts.  It really hit the spot. 




At the trash can area I met Beth from Washington, Tom and their two dogs Bailey, a four year old beagle and Wilbert, a drooling hound who loves to put his paw on your face.  Beth and Tom are rock collectors.  They did Wyoming, and then Oregon for geodes and agates.  Tom is a 57 year old retired fireman who built his own cedar house on five acre land and built his own two ponds on his lot.  He likes to plant trees and plants.  He will uproot them off the road when he see them as he travels, much like rocks. 
 
Beth began meditating recently after two episodes of composting artery that closed and then reopened.  She survived both in four years and is happy to be alive.  Our conversation started with her comment on my skirt.  I said I wear it to air out the bottom.  Tom also coached soccer for girls.  We talked about their daughter, granddaughter, dogs, teaching, house code reinforcement, and how there is lack of shower access etc..  we went on and on.  I could have kept going and I needed to pee half way through our conversation but the conversations were too good to leave.  We also talked about headaches and rock healings.  I also talked about language and cultures and how it shapes anger and frustration and stress or the lack of.  There is anguish in Beth’s eyes that fazed in and out.  I pulled out a new bag of French truffles to celebrate her being alive.  They are lovely warm people who have a lot of love for others. 
 
Yup I am at this site in order to meet them who are across from me.  I had contemplated their site in the morning and felt, “What if an RV wanted to park here?”  They bought their camper for $8,000 in September and loved it.  Beth is good at training her dogs to be dogs with dignity and expect more from them and still set boundaries  for dog freedom. 

The RV next site over flagged me and said he was a retired CID for the military central intelligence division like CIA but for the military only.  He said he felt proud that his life service in the military was of worth when he sees single young women traveling alone feeling safe to do so.  I am happy for him and his vision and his heart of protection for everyone. 

Today I bothered to look into a box at my site and realized it was an electrical hook up box.  I didn’t have to go to the restroom all this time, in fact I could have plugged everything in but I just didn’t know because I didn’t check, silly foolish of me.

It’s amazing how I can just flip from solitary silence to a social chatter box just like that.  I’d say assimilation into civilization complete.