He Had Been Dead For the Past Twenty Years

Day 50 National Park 2011
 I woke up with total exhaustion from tension and pain from last night.  I recited Great Compassion Mantra and I felt the relief.  I felt lighter and it worked.  I was chilly, I knew I wanted and needed to get up for sunrise but I didn’t get up until 5am.  I made hot tea and drove to the lighthouse for sunrise on the beach.  The scenic view of this morning’s sunrise on the horizon was not what I had expected. On the moon there was a kind of a spot light and everything else was fog.  I sat and drank tea, watched the fog and thought about Native Americans, surrounding chi, and all the drug and alcohol.  Then I went to use the vault toilet and it wasn’t a terrible experience, not as bad as Altaire Campground, that was enough for a lifetime.


 I reflected on my internal chatter, how this and that needed to be right.  Then I connected to how this sets things up for others to be wrong and to be corrected.  The opposite is true too.  They are both on the ends of a teeter totter.  I am still on the teeter totter of struggle.  I don’t need to be right or wrong.  I want to be out of it all.  “Just shut up!” was what I told myself, and then the pressure on my chest lifted. 

I drove one mile back to camp.  The best part about this camp isn’t the sites, nor the light house or the beach or even the town of Bandon.  The best part is the closed beach hours from 10pm-7am and during that time you can have the entire beach to yourself.  It is super cold, windy, foggy but it’s just you and that’s nice.  Lot’s of people camp here, but very few are on the beach. 


I made boiled pasta and crumpled chips into it, tasted surprisingly good.  10 am is hustle and bustle time, all the volunteer crews were out cleaning, picking up trash, etc..  It’s quite an amazing process to see.  There were a lot of volunteers and they are all very nice. 


I drove to old town and parked right in front of the Cranberry Candy store.  The one Harold stressed I should go to.  Everything was yummy.  They had tasters for everything.  What a dangerous place!  All the kids who step in, their eyes light up like Christmas lights.  The staff was pleasant and wonderful.  It is a harmonious place.  I bought CranMarion Berry juice no sugar for $9.75 each.  They gift wrapped it for me.  The women at the store drew me a map of where the blueberry farm is and where to go for wifi at the café and to go to Misty Meadow for jam and honey etc..

I walked to the café and bought a cup of water for tea for $1.15.  I poured in my own Darjeerling tea leaves.  All the staff who worked at the café had really good healthy energy and was pleasant to be around.  I was really impressed. 

I chatted with my sister and realized the dream I had the other day of family and the dog were family distress and disharmony that was physically taking place in real time. 

Today was a good down time day.  I was not feeling well today.  I went to Misty Meadows and bought $100. worth of Jam for gifts.  Now how to get it all home?  I felt really ill when I was done and very tired, low and slow chi and heavy chi.  So I recited Heart Sutra over and over until I reached camp.  I was glad to somehow made it back to camp in one peace, all ten whole miles.  I laid on the hammock and breathed, coaching myself to relax into the illness.  I felt better and got up, ate blueberries, cherries, bread and eggplant.  Then I laid on the hammock some more.  I didn’t make it over to the blueberry farm, I was just overwhelmed and sick. 

Kim came to invite me over for kimchi, rice, hot spicy Korean soup.  I passed, I was stuffed and I really wanted to use the time for more recitation.  Kim watches and looks out for me.  She watches me with curiosity on how I can be alone traveling for fifty days all camping on my own. She finally figured out that I make myself comfortable with things l like, hammock, tea, writing etc…  She said she missed home where she knows how to make herself comfortable.  She always gets the same campsite each year and books it nine months out to ensure it because this site is full every night.  She was impressed on how I know how to tie my own hammock.  So I showed her the only knot I know.  She said I should look into buying a mini camper.  I can barely reach the gas peddle of a mini van and a mini camper will be even worse. 

Kim was born in Korea and was adopted and raised in Kaui.  She lived in San Francisco where she met Harold.  She doesn’t speak Korean and barely cooks Korean food and doesn’t really like seaweed.  But everything about her is Korean, how she does her hair, how she moved her body, even her accent from Kaui is Korean English, isn’t that amazing.  She brings bird seeds and feeds birds each year she comes here, so all the birds love to flock here.  She also brings peanuts, I see the shells at my site. 

The sound of the creek right behind my site was music to my ears at the Humbug Campground.  Here at this site the ocean waves are right behind me too. 

The fog finally cleared at noon and was sunny the rest of the day.  Still the coastal wind was very chilly.  I dashed to the light house to watch the sunset.  The horizon was getting blanketed with thick clouds straight across.  It was like five waves out and creeping in, in the form of fog.  It looked like a tsunami wave.  I felt scared, like the end of the world.  A bit of orange and blue hint lingered and feathered the rest of the sky.  Then a fog above it all grew doom on everything in the short span of half hour and the sky grew dark grey and I got scared and drove back to camp with very little visibility.  

I got into the B loop behind a RV towing a trailer of three dirt bikes.  They found their site and unhooked the trailer, backed the RV into their spot.  They saw me waiting and two men tried to roll the trailer off the narrow loop road.  They needed more people but they rolled it anyways.  It hurt my back just watching them push.  Then finally a third person appeared to help and clear the road for cars to pass. 

I went for the shower and tried a different stall.  The water was lukewarm.  I was once again cold and shivering.  Towards the end it got warm and I stopped shivering.  As I dressed the shower drain burped sprinkles of gutter shower water and splattered onto me.  Gross!  I went to the restroom where there was an outlet to blow dry my hair.  Another woman with red shoes while brushing her teeth spoke her internal dialogue with her mouth full of tooth paste as if she had an audience listening to her.  I politely said good night and ran. 
 
I came across April’s father who told me he was up until 4:30am.  That he had been dead for past twenty years but he is now alive.  So all those nights of talking at the campfire way beyond quiet hours paid off and the fears of the daughter subsided.  The father had been revived!  The magic of campfires!

I put on more layers including socks for bed, it’s cooler tonight.  I was tired and I just wanted to go to bed.  I am amazed at how physically exhausted I felt all day.