Why Isn't There an Abundance of Fruits and Vegetables In Oregon?

Day 47 National Park 2011

I was up at 6am and I rolled out at 7am.  I barely slept last night.  I shivered in bed for two hours before I decided to get up and add two more layers of jacket.  I hope this won’t get me sick.  On this lovely day the sky was clear.  I bid my goodbye to the state of Washington and Mount. Rainier National Park. 

I pulled over to Panamerican Farmers off HWY 12 and bought blueberries from blueberry farm.  It was yummy, large blueberries.  I also pulled over to a cherry stand and this stand had plump giant cherries for $5 a bag. 

The border of Washington and Oregon on both sides was difficult to cross.  I was a bit disoriented and the speed in which people move in scared me.  I made a decision to get onto i5.  A trucker behind me looked far enough for me to merge onto the highway.  But the trucker drove fast and it honked me from a distance for me to speed up, I floored my gas peddle but my car wasn’t going any faster.  

Portland is a port and I have learned on this trip I am not into ports and the energy of ports.  I got onto HWY 26 West and got gas.  I really love “no self service” at gas stations.  A guy pumped my gas and another washed my window.   There isn’t much going on in HWY 26.

It was 11am when I pulled into Taco Bell to use the restroom and eat.  It saddened me to see an old woman who should have retired but needs to work instead at a fast food place.  She was sweet, I liked her manners in customer service.  No one was rushed in their order decision process, no one was hustled and it was a long line.  I liked that.  There was attention and order to each person, an understanding and respect and everyone was willing to be patient for this decent civilized not so fast-fast food process because it was worth it.  She made you feel you were worth it and she too was worth the time and care in this transaction process.  It might be the only human interaction each person receives in a day that was treated with respect and just like that each person was honored.  You mattered just as much as the person behind you and that person behind too.  This was so beautiful to witness.  What gifts this elderly woman gave to all of her customers.  What an inspiration she is.  She is priceless and I am grateful to have been here to witness this. 

You would think in this amazing state of Oregon, so green, environment oriented, nature loving state that everyone would be vegan and that it wouldn’t be so hard to find vegetarian food or amazing produce, and at economical price.  Yup, it’s not like that, that exist in some fantasy, it’s not reality.  It’s difficult to even find fresh fruits. 

I finally arrived at i101 and head south.  I went from campground to campground and each was full.  I couldn’t believe it.  I didn’t like the energy in all the places until I reached south of Newport.  There were two beach state parks I liked just off the beach.  At Newport I took a happy break at Grocery Outlet to see what they had and use their restroom.  The restroom was lovely.  It’s these little things, they do matter and really make a difference. 

I was already at Reedsport and still I have yet to come across any vacant site.  I kept going south since I was four days ahead of schedule in meeting up with friends in Reedsport.  I drove past Coos Bay and sights of logging saddened me.  I was at Bandon and the Bullards beach state park was full too.  I was happy about shower there.  They only had biker site left and I had to walk in and was not allowed to park my car in the park.  It was a one way three plus miles on foot where I can park my car at the grocery store that allowed overnight parking.  The place was packed and each site was tight.  The nice National Park site spacing was all gone.  This place is an assimilation into civilization and mass public for me.  It was evident to me that I was not ready. 


I decided to proceed onto the beach and drive some more towards the lighthouse Coquille River Light formerly known as Bandon Light.  I saw a young man sitting on the beach in the midst of gusting wind and flying sand, alone and writing.  I parked at a picnic table and ate salad.  I went to the light house and watched sunset at 9pm.  What a lovely sunset.  I had to leave because the camp ranger locks the gate at 10pm.  The gates open at 7am. 



In the dark I saw in a distance headlights and I knew that was where I wanted to go.  I just didn’t know how to get there.  I drove and followed beach sign and because I knew I wanted to wake up and watch sunrise.  I parked at a circle facing the ocean and just slept sitting up in my car in the midst of beach houses.  I was happy to finally park the car and stop driving.  I was very tired.  I put all three sleeping bags on me to keep me warm for the night.      

Miles Driven: 496 Miles

Hours on the Road: 12 Hours