What is Cool?

Day 6

I was down at the Can by 6:30am.  Thomas was already making his own waffles.  Stacy and Loc just left for the day to do things in town.  I had waffles with Marion berry jam.  I sat with Henry and chatted on  the past year catching up on our lives.  We pretty much just have this time, once a year during work week to do this.  He is a great, good person.   I am grateful to have such affinities to come across such a good person this life time. 

Henry got a call from Loc  to run the day.  We all gathered outside around Henry and Myra who reminded everyone what had to be done today and checked on with everyone to communicate challenges or needs.  I was so proud of him to step forward from his shyness and lead everyone as he is skilled and experienced to.  He’s been at this place since day one of the beginning of this retreat years ago and he knows a lot.  He is a good friend and doesn’t like to tell his friends to have to go to work.  But then that means more 12 hour days and he can’t do it all himself.  It just won’t get done in time and he might break his back in the process. 


I was so exhausted in the afternoon I couldn’t focus so I put earplugs into my ears and listened to music to focus.  I had to get dinner ready for the rest of the seventy five people arriving around dinner time.  Tomas was up for kneading the dough.  For two hours everyone else was on assembly line for making pot stickers, samosa, and fresh spring roll.  


The subject of what is cool came up.  Thomas said, “being cool is breaking rules.”  I said, “Bodhisattvas and Buddhas are cool.”  Myra said, “Jesus is cool.


Fabrizio arrived with his daughter Lauren this afternoon after a long drive from Canada.  Toure and I helped them get settled in.  Valerie’s love and kindness radiated with a warm welcome to Lauren.   Toure was very transmedium during tent setup.  It means something is about to go down, wrong on his end and he is pretending to not notice or acknowledge his karmic hand in the chain of seed to fruit. 


The shopping van returned and everyone jumped to unloading and organizing it all.  It was amazing to see.  I took this time to rest my feet.  I didn’t really eat.  I think I was too tired.  Instead I just stayed hydrated.  It was lovely to see everyone arrive safely.