Had To Do Better in Our Thoughts

 Day 4 

I woke up at 3:45am to pee.  The stars were amazing.  It was a warm night, I wore only one layer.  I was down at the Can by 6am.  I put laundry into the washer, it was a full load.  After setting the washer going I sat in the car and did morning ceremony.  Then I continued to sit in the car and fell asleep.  I got out of my car when everyone else started to show up for breakfast.  I began making chili, salsa etc.. for our Mexican lunch.  

One of the staff came to discuss the issue of how we all speak Chinese and we are sitting gender separate, that someone new to the crew may feel left out.  So we changed, we mixed things up.  It’s good to communicate.  We get so caught up in catching up trying to get things done as soon as possible that we miss some basic things at times, some basic human touch things.  We are so used to being around people who speak multiple languages that we just mix it all in and forget that not everyone is so.    

We also discovered Henry’s wife Myra is a very shy and sweet, but amazing artist and a great chef.  She made me a heart shape chocolate chip pancake.

After lunch I felt super exhausted, I was in need of a nap.  But I had to move my tent out of my yearly site and into a new one, which I didn’t mind, I just want it quiet wherever I am so I can sleep.  I didn’t get to nap, I just had time to lay down for a bit and take a break from standing on my feet. 

Tonight after dinner we all went up and sat in meditation for forty five minutes.  I got a lot of mosquito bites in the mediation hall.  My ankle managed to survive the criss cross sit.  It was all I could manage with the injury.     

Marion, Orlan, Connie and her brother Michael showed up during mediation.  Connie showed up with her guitar. 

Today a tent broke in transport from the Can up to the campground area.  Any abstract energy tension in this case is manifested in real time and reflected on the tangible external world.  This alarm rang like a big bell throughout the land.  All of us as Buddhist nonviolent practitioners knew better and as staff with responsibilities, we were too well experienced and trained to be in denial.  People reflected on such a manifestation.  It was a sound of alarm for this community and we all knew and had to pay attention and do better in our own thoughts and harmony in working with each other.   I am glad no one physically got hurt today.      

Two staff apologized on behalf of the group for the lack of professional work performance up to date and have yet to pick up the slack on the work load.  I feel blessed to be with people with honest amazing hearts full of integrity.  

The work week is hard work.  You have to love hard work to be happy here.  You do what others don’t want to do.  You do what others can’t do.  You are selected and invited to work week for the strengths you can contribute.  We meet once a year.  People show up in which ever condition they are in and we as a group must adjust each year on the spot to fill in.  It means some people are able to sneak in three hour breaks and naps while others work 15 hour day.  And if you are doing the 15 hour day, it’s your test to not let negativity rise in regards to fellow crew or the retreat itself.  That’s just how it is.  It’s never boring.    It’s what you agree to when you sign up.