Her Joy Was Contagious and Inspiring

Day 46 National Park 2011

I got up at 5am and brewed a beautiful cup of High Mountain tea.  I sat and thought about how the DRBA monk and nuns do it day in and day out.  I need the weekends, vacations, and summers off.  They just keep going all year long even in the winter Chan meditation.  The forest monks get three months rains retreat and regularly taking turns to take sabbaticals.  I just find them amazing and super human.  I feel defective in comparison, a weakling or something of that sort in comparison. 

I also thought about when I was six my mom told me to cherish book and knowledge as gold.  She wanted all her children to have a college degree and lead better lifestyle.  If only my mother didn’t give up on herself she too could have gotten more education as an adult and realize her childhood dream.  I wished the same for my father too. 

At 9am I went to the restroom and I saw the same teenage girls from China happily taking her time to take care of her skin by herself.  Last night her mother over saw her brushing and rinse of teeth like military training.  This morning she was on her own and her joy and efficiency of taking care of herself was inspiring and contagious for camping lifestyle. 

Camping is fun and good if you know what you need to take care of yourself.  It doesn’t have to be overwhelming drag of discomfort or inconvenience.  It’s only inconvenient if you are not prepared and don’t know what you need to be happy and stay healthy. 

Meditation and recitation today was about confronting struggles of forth chakra and below. 

I tried a can of Bartolli Roasted Peppers with crush Red Peppers for lunch, it was very gross.  I had to chuck it.  I ate cherries for lunch instead. 

I met a woman in the restroom and noticed she was lobster red.  She was washing and taking care of her skin and applying Neosporin on her skin.  I offered burn lotion to her.  Yesterday she did the hike to Muir Camp, base camp for Glacier Mountaineers, that is quite high in elevation.  She has been here since Monday and yesterday was the first sunny day and might be the only one for the week.  So she was not sun block prepared.    

Yesterday’s sun and today’s rain creates icy conditions along with fog.  Today I had plans to do that hike in snow without snow gear or ice gear.  I decided I didn’t need to climb Mt. Rainier in rain, wind, and fog on snow and ice without any snow gear. 

It is wonderful to listen to the quiet air and feel the cool damp overcast lighting on my skin.  I fell asleep during afternoon mediation.  My head was heavy.  It was a good rest and a struggle all in the same time.  I finally woke up two hours later. 

At 5pm I ate more cherries for dinner.  It’s been a very cherry day.  The blue sky was visible during this time. 

In front of the restroom an elder male was wetting his slab of pinewood, machine cut to the size of a long cutting board.  The bark was completely removed and he was wetting it to use it as a smoker.  What a good idea.  National Park wood is better than the ones from commercial stores.      
 
You know you are on the west coast when you see REI, Keen, Mountain Hardware, Osprey, and North Face products.  The rest of the country has access to other products that they are into.  It’s very different in the Rockies and Yellowstone. 

Belly was full of tea at 8pm and I was super wide awake with my nap.  It was a lovely night, a dry night.  I strolled around the campground.  The snow boots kept my feet toasty warm tonight on my stroll.  I stopped at the amphitheatre to listen to a ranger talk and decided I would continue on.  The stars were out tonight, what a treat!  The campground was lovely this evening.  I picked up a log of pine firewood that someone left behind.  It was a bit wet from today’s rain but it wasn’t bad.  I stacked it along with the rest of firewood I collected.  Collecting firewood from each place I’ve been in is a thing for me.