Glacier Happy

Day 33 National Park 2011

It was lovely to wake up to the sounds of rain.  I put on snow boots to keep my legs warm and dry.  At 8:35am I got up and found my head spinning in dramas like channel flipping all the stations on TV.  The rain was drizzling and not a downpour.  The rain stopped at 9:30am.  It was lovely to meditate to the sounds of rain. 




I spoke to my scattered mind ridding on a roller coaster lacking stillness, efficiency, and creativity, “I don’t want to be like you.  I’d rather be a sage.  I won’t need to bathe or bother with eating.  I won’t step on living beings.  I will have ended birth and death.” 


At 1pm I head for the Cascade Pass and I missed the bridge turnoff by the gas station.  I kept on going towards Rockport.  I finally pulled out a map and turned around.  On this side going east there is a sign but not the other direction.  I drove slow admiring the beautiful scenery.  The road was covered in white, orange, and purple flowers.  It was a long drive to get to the road block.  There was snow on the mountains and the misty clouds hovered over the peaks drifting in and out. It was a pretty sight of wonder to watch. 






Today I felt my head light and clear.  It was a majestic two and half hour hike.  The road block stops perfectly at where the beauty of the scenery opens up.  The things I would have missed if I just drove by.  The avalanches have fallen and debris has been cleared.  The snow off the mountain is tourmaline blue, beautiful.  The misty clouds reveals bits and pieces of this peak or that peak.  The sun peered through in spots here and there off and on.  I loved how the snow dressed the mountain accessorizing it, defining parts making it easier for the eyes to decipher the face and edge textures.  Waterfalls of snow melt were everywhere along with sounds of running water.  The water roars violently, moves at fast and dangerous speed.  The sky drizzled off an on.  The mountain is charcoal damp grey from the rain.  The air just smelled amazing.  I felt my lungs open up.  The entire walk was beautiful, full of cedar and pine trees with floral beds all over. 



I made it to the snow where the snow trucks parked.  Just past it the road ends, buried in 15 feet of snow.  I knew I wasn’t going to climb it.  I had chosen to not bring poles or snow shoes because I knew I could not hike in the snow physically with my injuries and I did not have an ice ax or rope to climb out of a crack or crevasse.   This was as close as I got to Sahale Glacier. 




My ankle burned, it hurt half mile into the hike.  I told my ankle to heal because I have plans for more hiking, I haven’t given up.  I need it to be healthy and strong.  I haven’t even begun accessing my trip plans. 


During the hike I reflected on my family and how much kindness they have showered me.  I am grateful.  My family has gentle souls, kind sweet hearts.  We have been through rough, difficult times.  Know and seeing their kind hearts is enough.  No one needs to do anything more.  I am grateful for the love, nurture, kindness, care that has been showered onto me.  I remember.  I know.  I see.  I hear.  That’s enough, please focus on yourself, and heal yourself.  I don’t need anything. I don’t expect anything.  I don’t demand anything at all.  I am grateful.          






I saw a couple backpack with skis at the Cascade Pass trail at 5pm heading towards Sahale Glacier.  They must be experienced to start the trail so late.  It’s a good thing day light goes to 9:30pm here.  They must be strong too.  I have no wish, no will to go on such expedition and sleep on the snow. 


I ate roasted peppers, dongfen in sate, and hot and sour soup for dinner.  I began to pack up camp in preparation for tomorrow’s drive.  Mike from Boston came over to help me with mapping out Olympic National Park.  He is looking younger by the day.  Tonight the Boston group was all laughter and beer.  I find it wonderful that people make annual trips together.