First Break in the Rain


Day 41 National Park 2011

I woke up feeling ill from tension and heaviness of the abs and was distracted with worries.  I meditated and recited, things cleared up and I felt a soft light air full of oxygen expand in my head and beyond. 

I went on the Hall of Moss trail this morning.  This area had two large clusters of moss on maple trees.  The pools of water at the entrance was nice, and had beautiful greens growing in it.  It felt very cool.  

I saw a group of people from a nature photography class with tripods and fancy SLR digital camera with fancy gear packs.  They are on a six day workshop $600 each, not including boarding or food.  The photographer drives people around on a shuttle.  He teaches them how to use their camera and works with them on composition.  They get up at sunrise and gets shots at certain places and times.  Some came from Colorado.  I think the best part of this was for me to see the joy and the focus of attention, the zone people get into.  I can relate to that. 

One woman complained of not having the right expensive gear to make her photos work.  I disagree.  Most people only know to use one function on their camera, and sets it at auto point and shoot mode.      

As I came out of the trail I saw tall trees that fell over, and I also saw nursing logs. 

I stopped at the visitor center to ask about other places, a wonderful ranger recommended I do First Beach and skip Second Beach in La Push. 

When I stepped out of the visitor center I saw people returning from their trip, totally all in mud, drenched and caked. They aren’t talking much.   The ones who are just heading out on their backpacking trips are full of excitement and joy. 

I met Ranger C Anderson from Port Angles who has been with the park for four seasons.  He just loves it here.  Last night at 11:30pm a bobcat jumped across the road.  Someone saw two cougars the other day.  He said there are amazing spots in the national forest too, all very different terrain.  He has no desire to go anywhere or leave the place except to visit Australia.  He dreads the off season of having to bear living in Port Angels the rest of the year. I can so relate.  He was a young clear face man who spoke in tune to the rhythm of the mountain.  He was born to be a steward chosen by the mountain.

The sun peered through for five minutes and then rain continued.  A new group of campers moved in.  New neighbor was a sunny young city urban folk with very capable chi of many talents along with a friend, all very beautiful and full of good blessing. 

My internal state is like this weather.  The sun comes out and hopefully shines.  In twenty minutes the sprinkles begin and the sky turns dark, scary grey and continues to repeat.  The awareness of the change is present, the relief of the sun is much appreciated in the midst of pulling inward to contemplate and adventure darkness.  I am grateful for all the conditions possible to manifest this journey.  I am happy and peaceful.  I can live like this each day for the rest of my life in simplicity and in nature. 

Contemplation for the day
To be truly at peace, to surrender, to let go, no more struggles, no more entanglement, no more anger, no more grips, no more hurt, no more pain, no more sadness, no more confusion, there just isn’t anything else better to do than this.         

Tonight is the first night of a break from continual rain.  I walked around to see what people are doing.  They’ve all got a fire going.  A couple by the river has their harmonica going.  The mist, fog, and clouds danced above the river and around the mountain, a beautiful scene to witness.  All the campers seem to be super mosquito resilient.  I have to do the mosquito dance. 

A Chinese young man with a blond female friend is across from me.  He collected wood which is all damp and tried to have a fire.  It looked super smoky.  He poured lighter fluid to get it started.  As he poured, he checked over his right and left shoulder as if he was committing a crime, as if getting help with a starter fluid was illegal and his fire had to be doused out to destroy evidence.  It was super cute and funny.  Wet wood is hard to work with.  

Since my tent is parked on the elk and deer trail, it naturally smells like elk and deer pee.  I don’t mind.  But there are lots of puddles on the tent floor.