I Love Moss

Day 30 National Park 2011

I kept dreaming that I woke up and began my day, this dream repeated three times.  While meditating and reciting, I felt Abhayagiri monks at BBM.  I felt a sense of wanting to make sure they are welcomed and well taken care of.  Then I realized today is the first Tuesday of the month and they are at BBM today.  Some things continue within even when things have ended long ago on the outside.      

I sat and watched birds while I ate.  There are plenty of birds to watch.  Saw two types of humming birds here, green and golden bronze.  I met a female black ranger today.  I was impressed by her. 



I went for my River Loop stroll.  The loop was full of red cedar and moss.  I saw birds and butterflies, the river was glacier green.  It was clear and beautiful.  The currents were unsafe and fast.  Even dogs won’t swim in it.  I dipped my feet in it and it felt so good.  I wore Tevas for the stroll.  I think my body is acclimating to the heat with the flip flops and tank tops.  I jumped from winter to summer, totally skipped spring. 



At the river bed I sat on a log.  I noticed a lot of moss and realized how much I love moss.  I remembered how I was good friends with moss spirit and asked what I should do.  I heard,” you think too much, exercise and don’t think too much, just do what is karmic right at the moment.” 



I came back to camp to drink the sweet cold mountain water out of the faucet.  Then I laid on the hammock and just enjoyed the breeze.  I am feeling better, less worried, and less foggy.  My ankle hurts. I had to kick my ankle over the hammock.  I fell asleep at 2:44pm and woke up at 5pm.  I seem to be doing a lot of falling asleep.  I wondered where I have been past few days with all this sleeping.  


At 5:30pm I saw a deer, graze at my campsite.  I saw my other neighbor, a family from Santa Cruz and both parents work at De Anza College as professors teaching ESL.  The husband had a prosthetic leg.  I offered my dolly and they took up the offer, it will be easier to transport their five gallon water tank from the faucet to their campsite.  Lisa the wife can’t believe I camp and hike alone.  I said I stay on trails.  There are other people on trails and campground too.  They just came from camping in Oregon and are headed to Yellowstone National Park. 

 At 6pm, I finally felt present, here, awake, and ready for this park.  All the trails here are incline, they seem to start in the valley and go up.  

Ani along with her mom and dog came to bid me goodbye.  They are headed to Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helen, Olympic National Park. 

While I worked on my cuticles this evening a black and white mosquito had me for dinner.  I had to hide in my tent for protection.  I got out of the tent to star gaze tonight, the Milky Way is beautiful.  I feel safe here.